Forum Discussion

daniel_dewinter
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Sharing existing items with multiple projects

Hello,

Situation:

I have a Project Suite containing 23 Projects. I use one project to create/mainting the scripts which are then used to be shared with other project.

Problem:

Every time I created a new script file I want to share with the other projects, I have to add it manually to the 22 other project. This is pretty labor intensive/boring/ RSI prone, etc.

My question:

Is there a way to add a script to the 22 of the other projects in a single action?

Kind regards,

Daniel

• We have a very simple solution, which works fine for our need.
    We have a external tool used for some of our tests. All interaction for this is kept in a project solely for this. Mapping are needed for the tool in all the referencing projects within the project suite. But this tool rarely changes, so it is manageble.

Also we keep some windows system "utilities" for for the test in the same project. This code is with out using namemapping. So this part is easy.

Units from this "shered" project are imported as exsisting units into the projects where we need them.

This works fine, within this scope.

Br,

Christian

6 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

There isn't an easy way to do it no. I created a feature request to be able to share a library of scripts a while back. What you can do is parse the Script.tcScript file which is just an XML file with something like powershell to add in script units.

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Depending upon what the code is that you want to share across the 22 projects, you could consider putting them into Script extensions.  Once an extension is updated, it is immediately available across all projects in the environemnt.

daniel_dewinter
      Contributor

TanyaYatskovska 

Both solution I would have to investigate, for which I don't have the time at the moment. I was hoping there's a simple solution. Something like in the attached picture.

Daniel

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

There isn't such a solution currently, now.  As mentioned above, somebody already put in a feature request.  Go find that and up vote it to give it impetus in SmartBear's product planning.

• We have a very simple solution, which works fine for our need.
    We have a external tool used for some of our tests. All interaction for this is kept in a project solely for this. Mapping are needed for the tool in all the referencing projects within the project suite. But this tool rarely changes, so it is manageble.

Also we keep some windows system "utilities" for for the test in the same project. This code is with out using namemapping. So this part is easy.

Units from this "shered" project are imported as exsisting units into the projects where we need them.

This works fine, within this scope.

Br,

Christian