Forum Discussion

vastydeep
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

Setting project variables in one step

SoapUI has a nice feature called 'Environments' which allow all project-level variable values to be changed just by selecting from a dropdown. Is there an equivalent feature in TestComplete? 

I've seen the import/export extension that was submitted for the contest, but this requires selecting each variable to be imported or exported.

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

There is no equivalent feature in TestComplete... yet.   Feel free to suggest such a thing however, I don't think there's an analogous concept.  In SoapUI you're testing API requests via Soap to different environments.  TestComplete is functionally testing applications via their UI. For the most part, there' not really a new "environment". The application is installed on a machine and set up and run as normal.  TestComplete then exercises the application and performs verifications.  It doesn't really matter what "environment" the application is installed on, for the most part.  Project level variables as typically used in TestComplete don't really correspond to environment factors.   They are more on the lines of global scoped variables in an application that any function/method/object in the application has acccess to.

vastydeep
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the swift reply.

Because my client has multiple development versions in different QA environments at the same time, it is necessary to switch back and forth between them, and there are unique paths and credentials necessary for each version, so it would be handy to be able to change all necessary values in one go.

I'm just getting familiar with the product so maybe there is some way to accomplish this that I'm missing.

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

What I've done in the past is created an INI file with different environmental values.  Then, using the Storages.INI object, I'd read those values in from the INI into the project variables... need to run under a different environment? Change the INI values or drop in a different file.