Forum Discussion

RUDOLF_BOTHMA
Community Hero
5 years ago
Solved

Setting Keypressing Delay from Script

Morning all,

Quick question this morning.

I'm trying to enforce a minimum key pressing delay in my projects because I just find that too often, the key pressing delay is zero, which causes tests to fail unnecessarily.  All I want to do is go:

if(key pressing delay < 10)
{
  key pressing delay = 10;
}

there is Options.Run.Delay, but that sets the delay between commands, not key presses.  Is there a line of code for the key presses equivalent ?

• Hi,

Two options that I can think of:

a) Set the Project Options > Project|Playback|Runtime|Key pressing delay parameter for the required value (this is a per-project setting);

b) Use [P<delay>] value for keypresses (e.g.: button.Keys("2[P500]0[P500]2[P500]0") )

6 Replies

Wamboo
    Community Hero

I did a little investigation and I couldn't find a better solution than Alex mentioned.

What you can do in the script is to pack all the actions e.g. .Click with a custom function and in it create some clever script that will execute the desired actions.

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Two options that I can think of:

a) Set the Project Options > Project|Playback|Runtime|Key pressing delay parameter for the required value (this is a per-project setting);

b) Use [P<delay>] value for keypresses (e.g.: button.Keys("2[P500]0[P500]2[P500]0") )

RUDOLF_BOTHMA
      Community Hero

Hi AlexKaras 

Thanks for the input.  That's about what I thought - It's a shame though.  My reason for trying this is to override user behaviour.  Users go,  "Ooh, the tests are slow, lets decrease this delay"  then inevitably the tests start failing and wasting time investigating false failures.  That second option will work, but, just wow, what a mess to always have to do it - calling a function for no other reason than iterating through a string to add a delay between key presses.  Also users quite often use KWTs without script, so there is no way to implement this in these instances.  Oh well, it is what it is.  More user, um, training required.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

RUDOLF_BOTHMA :

Hi,

Well, I see your reasons and I agree with them.

causes tests to fail unnecessarily.

What are those failures? Do they happen for every data entry or just for some certain controls?

One more idea that you may try is to use .SetText() instead of .Keys(). Quite often controls misbehave because they expect keyboard input only. In this case you may try, for example, to assign the value via .SetText(), focus the control (using .SetFocus()), move to text end, delete the last character and re-type it.

Something like this (assuming the last character was 'a': <control>.Keys("[End][P500][BS][P500]a[Tab]")

And one more idea:

Emulate user who is pasting data from the clipboard.

Like this:

control.SetFocus()

Sys.Clipboard = <value to enter>

control.Keys("^V")