Forum Discussion

Novari-QA
Frequent Contributor
7 years ago

Script Editor - How to turn off predicted typing?

Personally this predicted typing feature is extremely irritating. Perhaps there is a setting I turned on to make it so bad, but just as an example:

Type in 1 double quote.
Expected: a 2nd double quote to appear
Actual: Nothing appears
Type in your 2nd double quote

Expected nothing to happen since you have closed off your quote

Actual: A third double quote appears 

It also applies to Brackets.

Thanks

Just to be clear, I don't mind the itellisense. I prefer it actually, i'd like to keep that.

8 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

This is a new feature in TC 12.31 to emulate IDE's like visual studio or NetBeans.  I haven't run into the specific problem you have with typing in a quote and not getting the second one... that always works for me.  I know some folks are irritated with this feature but, personally, I kind of like it.

Unfortunately, there's no way to turn it off currently.  However, the request has been made and the folks from SmartBear have promised to take a look at improving this.

ryanlloyd
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

I have been trying to follow-up on this after SmartBear Connect since the question came up during the Q&A.

I would love to hear some concrete examples of when the scripting editor autocomplete features don't behave as you would expect. A quick video or a documented set of reproducible steps I can follow would be really helpful. I have found with IDE's, the auto completion of brackets/quotes is pretty typical and expected. If there are scenarios where it isn't working as expected in the TC Script editor, I'd like to track them down.

What I really want to understand is whether there are just a few bugs we need to fix with it, or if a global option to turn off these IDE-like features is really desired. I don't want to introduce an explosion of configurable options to tweak all the behaviors of the scripting editor and make it too complex of a user experience if it can be avoided!

Feedback welcome!

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

FYI, I'm currently in a development cycle adding some new code to my framework and the auto-complete of brackets and quotes is actually helpful for me.  I'll confess, it took some getting used to since I don't have a lot of experience with other IDE's so, when I'm typing away in my old patterns from prior to TC 12.31, I would get tripped up.  But now that I've had some time to work with it, it really is a time saver for me.  Of course, that's just my opinion... others may disagree.  YMMV