Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running TestComplete on Virtual machine even if the user is not logged on

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Running TestComplete on Virtual machine even if the user is not logged on

Hi,

We have TestComplete installed on VM and have floating license activated on the same Virtual Machine. Now I will set up a task scheduler to run the automation tasks in the night even when the user is not logged in or not connected to Virtual Machine.

I manually tried starting the TestComplete project suite from Task Scheduler and disconnected the user session while the test was running, and then I reconnected after 5 mins to see , TestComplete was running still but it was not able to identify objects, mouse clicks was not happening.

Please help.

7 REPLIES
Community Hero

Re: Running TestComplete on Virtual machine even if the user is not logged on

Think of it like this...

...would a real user be able to click on buttons, components, etc., if they are not logged in?  

...would a real user be able to click on buttons, components, etc., if the workstation is "locked" with no visible UI interface?

The answer to those is obviously no... so, running tests on a workstation that is not logged in or disconnected will fail.  Which is why you need to make certain configuration changes and such to make it work....  

Start with this link and read through the various options.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/running/via-rdp/index.html

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Extensions available
Community Leaders Program
Occasional Contributor

The tscon utility is exactly what solved my requirement. Thank you.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am facing a strange issue. I am running GUI Test of web application on virtual machine. When ever I have logged on to the machine the test runs fine, all the objects are identified fine. But when I use this tscon and disconnect the session before starting the test or in middle of execution , the web application in the chrome browser does not load completely and test complete is not able to identify the objects.

I am stuck at this issue. Please help if any one faced similar kind of issue.

Community Hero

Keep in mind that transferring to the console with tscon means that the tests will be running with whatever the screen resolution is on that console.  So, if the console screen resolution is too small, this could be the problem.  Find out what your console screen res is and, if necessary, increase it.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Extensions available
Community Leaders Program
New Contributor

Hello tristaanogre,

Using tscon.exe utility i am able to disconnect from rdp and continue running the test.

However, how do I initiate a UI based Tests without even logging in the VM.

Few stuff that I already have 

TC with all parameters is triggered using .bat file

Disconnect.bat (Containing tscon.exe call) file is used to disconnect 

both .bat files (resident on VM) are triggered using TaskScheduler

Thanks in advance for the help

vshah

Tags (1)
Community Hero

Hi,

> However, how do I initiate a UI based Tests without even logging in the VM.

No way.

Point.

And this is not something that is specific to TestComplete but the essential requirement of the Windows OS.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick response

Latest News
Top Kudoed Authors