cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to fetch the data from a Grid/dataset/table?

Highlighted
Contributor

Please help me how to fetch the data from the column name from excel.

@baxatob wrote:

1. Please go carefully through this topic: https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-objects/specific-tasks/grids/index.html 

2. You can create a DBTable variable from your excel file. Then you can use it something like this:

def get_value(column_name):

source = Project.Variables.your_dbtable_variable
    source.Reset()
    while not source.IsEOF():
        Log.Message(source.Value[column_name])
        source.Next()

The code above will save all values under the column_name into the Log.

3. Enable Post image on error option in your Project -> Properties -> Playback -> Log

4. You can't do it out-of-the-box, however you can create your own script or extension for this purpose.

1 REPLY 1
Community Hero

I've moved this discussion to a new topic as it is not related to the original problem of reading data from a grid or table.

So, based upon your other reply, you are looking to read data from an excel spreadsheet, not as part of a data driven test, but to be able to retrieve data from a specific row and a specific column, is that correct?

If so, start with this topic:

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/advanced/working-with-external-data-sou...

There is Python sample code there that you should be able to use as a starting point for building your functionality.  Give this a try and, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors