Forum Discussion

4 Replies

YuriPeshekhonov
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi,

If I am correct, Visual Studio Online does not support the "xml" and "mht" formats. So, I would tell that it's impossible to add the test results to the VSO dashboard. 

However, I can be wrong. Maybe someone else will suggest an approach. 

MyG0t
      Occasional Contributor

Hey Yuri,

Just to clarify this a bit more. 

We're looking to have a quick visual of TestComplete scripts that ran during the build&release process.  The exact detail of scripts (mht file) can be found in the release log, which is nice - it just takes some navigating around to find the mht file, then downloading it and viewing it. 

What we really want is a widget, on the VSO dashboard, that would display something like;

# of tests run

# of tests (pass)

# of tests (fail)

Something our developers / managers can quickly view and see how their application looks on a day to day basis.  Any additional level of detail would be great as well, like separating tests into groups so that they could see that, for example, the "log in" screen had 100% success, while the "order" screen had 50% failure. 

Right now, when using Visual Studio to kick off TestComplete scripts, during build&release, we only see that "1 test ran" - the 1 test is referring the the tc12test file within Visual Studio.  This file contains all of the tests that will be run, however VSO only see's the tc12test file as a test, instead of everything it contains.

I'll update once we hear more from the product owner - who we are in contact with.  Having this functionality would be incredibly helpful for application development and maintenance.

Colin_McCrae
        Community Hero

It can be done. But not natively by TC.

You can use the TFS API. It works with on-site and online versions.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/integrate/api/test/overview

But you'll need to build your own code to do it. I have a set of script extensions I use for exactly this. All my TC tests that are linked connect to TFS using this and update a specific test case with pass/fail/notes etc.

But I'll warn you in advance, the API is a bit confusing when it comes to test items, due to the way a test "case" can be a test "item" in multiple test "suites", which get moved into a "run" when performing the actual tests. There are still a few bugs in it (the RESTful API is relatively new) - one of which involves updating "results" from a "run". And how you structure it will depend how you use TFS. My script extensions may or may not work for you. They were written to hook into TFS based on how my company uses it, rather than being truly generic. (And I would also need company permission to upload them here. IP and all that ...)