Forum Discussion

visalinir
Contributor
7 years ago

Possibility of Multi Task while Execution

Is there any possibility to do other works while executing the tests in either Test Complete or Test Executer by minimizing the screen? Please provide details on this concept.

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

> by minimizing the screen?

What screen ?

In general, TestComplete / TestExecute mimics how end-user works with the application - i.e. clicks mouse buttons and types on the keyboard. And as the end-user cannot work with more than one application at a time on his/her desktop, it is not possible to do something on the computer where tests are executed because of the mouse/keyboard usage conflicts.

The only exception is when tests do not interact with GUI (e.g. test something via pure COM calls only). In this case, as the mouse and keyboard are not used, it is possible to perform some other tasks on the computer.

visalinir
      Contributor

Here screen defines my web application. Can I minimize the Application and do any other works in same system in which the test was executing. Is there any option to disable mouse during execution?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

As AlexKaras mentioned, TestComplete interacts with your application under test utilizing the mouse and keyboard events built in to the operating system.  While a test is running, if the test needs to interact with the UI utilizing mouse and/or keyboard events, any attempt by you to utilize the mouse or keyboard will "break" the test.  In short, the answer to your question is "no".  While your test is running, if it is interacting in any way with your application under test, you cannot "multi-task".

If you need to use your workstation while you are running your test, a best practice is to have a VM set up for executing your tests so you can continue to utilize your main workstations for developing.  This VM will also need to have a license of either TestExecute or TestComplete in order to execute the tests.