Forum Discussion

tphillips
Frequent Contributor
4 years ago

Performance counters error/warning while trying to get value

I have a Project Suite with 5 Projects in it, maybe 150-200 tests in total.

I have implemented Performance Counters against localhost in my 5 test projects for the following:

• % CPU
  • % Memory
  • Memory (MB)
  • % Disk Time
  • % Processor Time (TestComplete)
  • % Processor Time (TestCompleteService14)

Most of the time performance counters work fine, but occasionally near the start of some of my tests I get a warning
Error occured while trying to get value for counter % CPU [localhost]. Disable counter.

I get one of these for every counter.

What's going on here? How do I stop this happening? (Also there's a typo in TestComplete's warning, it should say "occurred" not "occured")

7 Replies

tphillips
      Frequent Contributor

The results are on the same machine, within the same test run. Maybe around 5 out of the 150 or so tests will have this warning, but it will all be in the same project suite run. Clearly the configuration is fine, if most of the time the performance counters work within the same project suite.

I will try re-installing TestComplete and cleaning up the machine it's running on, but I don't expect much improvement.

It would be useful if in the Details tab it told me what the error was.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

tphillips wrote:

The results are on the same machine, within the same test run. Maybe around 5 out of the 150 or so tests will have this warning, but it will all be in the same project suite run. Clearly the configuration is fine, if most of the time the performance counters work within the same project suite.

Yeah but I have to ask because many people forget to tell us that they are running on 10 different machines with 6 different configurations and nobody bothered to check all of them.  Glad that wasn't you!  🙂

tphillips wrote:

I will try re-installing TestComplete and cleaning up the machine it's running on, but I don't expect much improvement.

That's what I would do too, just to see.  

tphillips wrote:

It would be useful if in the Details tab it told me what the error was.

If the reinstall doesn't help, I would talk to Support directly about this and also ask them why the Details aren't there.  Here's their link.

https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete