cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Objects not found when testing in different VMs

Highlighted
Contributor

Objects not found when testing in different VMs

I have created tests in TC 10.0.531.7. In a VM running Windows 2008 R8.

I cannot run these tests in Windows 7 as the objects are not being found - also I am unable to map these objects. The object spy is just finding the browser window and not the objects within the window. The tests are failing at the first test - a logon page.

From recommendations from other posts I have increased the Method invoke timeout to 20000 and I've checked that project UI Automation settings and the Default Project Properties > UI Automation settings match in both environments. This is still failing.

Any other suggestions?
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

RE: Objects not found when testing in different VMs

What browser are you testing? What version of that browser? Have you updated to the latest patches?
Highlighted
Contributor

Chrome 33.0.1750.154m

Yes, I have applied latest patches.
Highlighted
Contributor

Anyone got any useful tips? This issue is ongoing - I recorded my scripts, they worked well - objects were mapped successfully. However, now none of these scripts are working and it appears that TC cannot locate the objects anymore. These all exist in Mapped Objects, but the Object Browser can no longer "see" them.

Within the object browser - the 'visible' and 'visible on screen' properties are set to false.

I think I'm heading in the right direction with this solution, but I need this explained in plain English - with some suggestions that might help with a solution.
Highlighted
Community Hero

If you're using Chrome 33, the version of TestComplete you are using may be out of date.  TestComplete 10.10.752.7 contains support for Chrome 33

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
Highlighted
Contributor

I upgraded to this version of TC 10 (I was already using TC10, but a previous version)

The outcome - this now works for my Win Server 2008 R2 environment; but not when running the same scripts in Windows 7 environment.

Community Manager

Hi Rachel,

Did you install TestComplete 10.10 on the Windows 7 machine, as well?

---------
Tanya Gorbunova
SmartBear Community Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
Highlighted
Contributor

Yes, I did.
Highlighted
Community Hero

OK... I have what may seem to be a "duh" question....

Your Windows 7 VM... are you minimizing it or disconnecting from your VM after you kick it off? Either of those two actions would result in TestComplete being unable to interact with the objects in the browser and with the objects showing up as not visible or not visible on screen.

Check this article here http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56552/ if that's the case and see if that corrects your problem.

Robert Martin
[Hall of Fame]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available
Highlighted
Contributor

This is still an ongoing issue.
I am not minimizing my VM or anything, it is open / on screen.

My project suite used the object spy to identify objects and my tests are keyword tests. The tests were running well, up until recently, when they stopped. All tests were written in Chrome.

Please note that the objects are found in IE11 - however there is a bug in IE11 which is preventing me from writing tests using this browser.

For the record...

Chrome: v 33.0.1750.154 m
Test Complete: v 10.10.752.7
Windows Server 2008 R2
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
Top Kudoed Authors