Forum Discussion

forrestaustin
Contributor
6 years ago

Object Browser shows grey boxes for some parts of application. Can't identify tooltips

Hi,

I'm working on testing an app that is a combination of winforms and WPF controls. It's a weird app in that WPF windows are embedded into the Winforms windows.

I am trying to get TC to identify the tooltips that appear when you  enter an invalid value into a textbox, but the object spy will not recognize the tooltip when it appears. I have tried using the drag and drop method and point and click method with no success for either.

When I try to find the tooltip on the object browser, I notice that a lot of the WPF controls are shown as grey boxes. However, TC still recognizes them as WPF controls and recognizes their internals like control name etc. I don't see the tooltip appear in the object browser - even as a grey box.

The tooltip is supposed to stay up until the invalid value is corrected, but when I switch screen or try using the object spy it disapears. 

Does anyone have any idea about how to go about troubleshooting this issue?

Is there a way I can search through the object browser looking for the text that is displayed inside the tooltip?

Thank you

4 Replies

forrestaustin
      Contributor

Thanks for the response.

The computer TestComplete is on is a secured offline network so I can't get pictures from it. By grey boxes I just mean the object browser is not displaying captured pictures of the application it just has grey boxes. I found a way to get the picture to show up if I click on the control in the object browser and tell it to update the image.

My problem is that Testcomplete does not recognize the tooltip at all as a window or anything ie I can't get the object spy to display a red rectangle around the tooltip window. I have had other applications where it recognizes the tooltip window, but it just doesn't recognize the backend properties. In this case it does not recognize that the tooltip is even there at all.

I can't find the tooltip in the object browser either, because it just dissapears when I switch pages. Any other ideas on how I can identify the object?

I have all the .Net extensions installed. 

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

I think that you should talk to developers and ask them how they control tooltips (get/set values).

It is quite possible that in this given application tooltips are implemented as windowless objects or/and as a properties of some customized control.

Maybe you will need to use some native method (from the Methods tab of Object Browser) to get/set tooltip's value.

One more possible option is to consider the Text Recognition functionality of TestComplete (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/object-identification/text-recognition/index.html).