Forum Discussion

dyarwood
Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Namemapping buttons on webpage is inconsistent

Hi,

I can't help but think I must be over thinking/not understanding something.

I'm trying to build my first set of automated tests for a new web product. 

I'm using the Map Object from screen button to open the object spy, click buttons, and Name map the objects. Then I edit the name mapped object to change it's name to something meaningful (like Submit_btn).

I'm having problems when it comes to playing back the scripts though. "Object not found" is a common issue.

So I look into this and it says it can't find the object with name map...

I now realize that each time I've mapped objects the Name Maps are inconsistent. 

In the Mapped Objects box, under Sys I have 3 hierarchies; Browser, iexplore, and iexplore2.

Under Browser, the web page for my app is referred to as 5 different pages; pageProduct, pageServerName, pageServerName2, pageLocalHost, and pageCompany.

2 of those pages are my LoginWindow. The other 3 are all the same page.

How can I force the NameMapping to be consistent so that when I start a test which calls pageProduct and the text test I call wanted pageServerName2 the test won't fail like this:

An error occurred while accessing the "Keys" method or property of the "textboxUserid" object.

The object or one of its parent objects was not found.

Object Whose Method or Property Was Accessed

Alias:

Aliases.browser.pageDyarwoodWin7Configuratio.formLoginform.textboxUserid

Name mapping item:

NameMapping.Sys.browser.pageDyarwoodWin7Configuratio.formLoginform.textboxUserid

Object That Was Not Found

Alias:

Aliases.browser.pageDyarwoodWin7Configuratio

Name mapping item:

NameMapping.Sys.browser.pageDyarwoodWin7Configuratio

Click the link above to view and configure mapping settings for the missing object.

3 Replies

• Hi Tanya,

I was using automatic NameMapping. Now that I'm looking it the items you listed I can see the identification properties are different. I'm not sure why, but I can understand why that causes a problem. It looks like it grabbed ObjectType, ProcessName, and Index. 

In the future when I go to map a new button, how can I set the Browser properties so they match the existing NameMapping for Browser?

Thanks,

David