Forum Discussion

csachanandani
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago

NameMapping issues with git sourcecontrol

Hi, I am facing issues with namemapping contents with Source Control. e.g My test scripts contain Aliases of the objects captured and after committing and pushing changes, the version of the namemapping file do not contain any alias objects. It has happened multiple times. has anyone faced similar issues, and how did you resolve it?

9 Replies

imitra
    Occasional Contributor

Another suggestion from Smart Bear is we create different projects under the same project suite. This will eliminate the need to edit the same Name Mapping file by different users (provided different users are working on different projects). I am currently trying out this method and will see how it goes!

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

imitra I would love to learn if this approach solves it 🙂 This might be the solution csachanandani  is looking for too.

csachanandani
      Occasional Contributor

while this may work if your team works in Silo, but its difficult to create separate projects for all team members and may create challenges with merging.

imitra
        Occasional Contributor

This works when you create different projects (eg: one project per module, which is my scenario) under the same project suite. I am now dividing my existing project into smaller projects based on modules. I will merge the new Name Mapping file to the existing Name Mapping file for each project. In my team, I am able to dedicate resources to work on separate modules . This kind of works for me. Not an ideal solution for sure, but kind of a workaround.

imitra
    Occasional Contributor

We have faced this issue before and we are still struggling to find an appropriate way to manage Source Control with Test complete. You can try looking at the Name Mapping file and check for merge conflicts, markers like HEAD, <<<<<,>>>>>,=======

Hope this helps.

csachanandani
      Occasional Contributor
      Hi Alex, Yes, We are facing similar problem, However, I do not see any solution to it.. Is there something that worked for you?
        Wamboo
        Community Hero

Hi, we on the team have this approach to NameMapping:

If someone has already mapped an item to the NameMapping to repository:

1) The first one to do the "merge" with the testComplete option of his NameMapping with the one that is in the repository and only commit. This works well, but you need to get yourself a proper work routine.