Forum Discussion

ast
Contributor
8 years ago

Powerbuilder DataWindow: Where are Fields, Events, specific functions ?

Hi there

- How can i make Fields and Events visible for enhanced testing (see attachment)?

- In general: Where can I find specific developers functions on a Powerbuilder object?

Thanx

8 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

ast wrote:

- How can i make Fields and Events visible for enhanced testing (see attachment)?

- In general: Where can I find specific developers functions on a Powerbuilder object?

Hi ast,

This is not possible - classic PowerBuilder apps (non-.NET) don't expose native methods and properties. What you see using MSAA and/or Text Recognition are the only things you can get out of classic PowerBuilder apps.

On that screenshot in the docs, the Fields and Events tabs are empty. The screenshot is from an older version of TestComplete when Object Browser still displayed empty Fields and Events tabs. Now it doesn't show these tabs if they are empty. We'll fix the screenshot to avoid confusion.
    tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

The topic you reference in your screenshot actually describes a number of things that need to be done in order to properly expose properties and such of a PowerBuilder application.  It describes the need to make sure you add your control to the MSAA options for your project, configuring the component in PowerBuilder to have an AccessibleName property defined for each component that you are adding to MSAA, etc.  Also, note, that the topic you referenced (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/desktop/power-builder/classic.html) is for PowerBuilder Classic for a specific version set of PowerBuilder.  

If you follow all those steps, both in TestComplete AND in your actual application (note that this requires you to ask your developers to make some changes to the components), and you still have the problem, let us know and we'll figure something else out. But it looks to me like, at this moment, you're missing some of the necessary configuration and, therefore, don't have that stuff exposed.

As for your second question... I'm not familiar with Powerbuilder to that level so I'm not sure I understand the question. What do you mean "specific developers functions"? If you are talking about the code behind the form that is not directly connected to the UI, then there isn't a way of doing so that I know of.

Colin_McCrae
      Community Hero

I interpreted "specific developers functions" as meaning native properties and methods?

But I'm not a PowerBuilder guy. That's just my interpretation.

ast
        Contributor

Hi there

Thanks for your information.

Colin_McCrae: Yes, right interpretation :-). I mean native properties and methods.

I think I've everything configured:
        - Show hidden members: enabled (see attachment above)
        - Powerbuilder Data Window: enabled in MSAA (see attachment above)
        - Accessible properties are set to the table/data window I want to test (but not for each table/data window - there are many others. Could be this the problem?)
        - We're using PowerBuilder Classic version 12.5.2.5550

tristaanogre: What changes to the components do you mean? Are there more than AccessibleName, AccessibleDescription and AccessibleRole?

Thanks for further suggestions.