Forum Discussion

co
New Contributor
7 years ago

Moving Node-locked licenses wrt. floating licenses

Hello,

We have a test network consisting of a dozen of desktop computers, which are subjected to be changed regularly (Some PCs are going to be replaced with another ones, regularly). And test network has no internet connection.

Which one is a better solution for us?

1. Installing 2 node-locked licenses on 2 different test computers. And when the replacement time has arrived, moving these licenses to the new coming 2 test computers..
  2. Installing 2 floating licenses on a License Manager computer. And when the replacement time has arrived, moving these licenses to the new coming License Manager Computer.. (By the way, can we run TestComplete on License Manager computer as well?)
  3. What if we want to use node-locked TestComplete licenses in combination with TestExecute licenses in the future? I have read that TestExecute need floating licenses).

Thanks for your support.

2 Replies

• I would go with option 2.  Yes, you can run TestComplete on the License Manager server.  Your only problem is going to be actually activating your license, because you'll have to run a utility on the License Manager server to get a file, and then copy that file to another machine with internet access to upload it to SmartBear, which will generate another file to copy back onto the License Manager server.  You can do option 3, but option 2 gives you more freedom and less hassle with swapping machines out for the TestComplete licenses, especially with the lack of internet access.

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

If you're swapping computers out regularly, then I'd avoid the node-locked licenses.  You will have to uninstall the license to move it every time.  With the floating licenses, you just register the new machine with the license server and you don't have to worry about moving licenses around.