Forum Discussion

dcfecker
Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Jenkins execution--> The requested operation requires elevation

Looking for help with the above error when running my TestExecute tests through jenkins. 

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the copy artifacts working, and to get access to my gitlabs repo on my Jenkins slave. But now I'm seeing this error:

15:28:04 [TestComplete] [ERROR] An exception occurred:
15:28:04 java.io.IOException: CreateProcess error=740, The requested operation requires elevation.

I have to run my jenkins agent as the "jenkins" user to access the repo. I can't use "Local System Account" for the jenkins agent Login. And this user is having some kind of Admin permissions error. 

If I login to to the jenkins agent with "Local System" it works as expected. Since the Local System Account is admin and has all proper privileges. How do I elevate permissions for the"Jenkins" user to bypass this error?

• I found this article:

working-with-jenkins/requirements-and-limitations

Had this snippet in it:

Provide Elevated Permissions for TestComplete

On Windows 8 and later, TestComplete requires elevated permissions for the run. Jenkins that is run through the Java Web Start agent application, cannot start TestComplete with required permissions, and will cause the build step to fail if it tries.

To run tests under Windows 8 and later, do any of the following:

• Install the Java Web Start agent as a service. As a service, the agent has the required permissions and can start TestComplete. Make sure the "Run interactive user session" test step option is selected.

– or –

• Connect to the slave by using the "Let Jenkins control this Windows slave as a Windows service" launch method. Make sure the "Run interactive user session" test step option is selected.

– or –

The only thing I was able to do was the last item, Disable Support for Widows Store apps:

Tools/Options/Engines/General - uncheck "Enable support for Windows Store applications"

But once I did that the jenkins job stopped erroring with elevation error.

2 Replies

• I found this article:

working-with-jenkins/requirements-and-limitations

Had this snippet in it:

Provide Elevated Permissions for TestComplete

On Windows 8 and later, TestComplete requires elevated permissions for the run. Jenkins that is run through the Java Web Start agent application, cannot start TestComplete with required permissions, and will cause the build step to fail if it tries.

To run tests under Windows 8 and later, do any of the following:

• Install the Java Web Start agent as a service. As a service, the agent has the required permissions and can start TestComplete. Make sure the "Run interactive user session" test step option is selected.

– or –

• Connect to the slave by using the "Let Jenkins control this Windows slave as a Windows service" launch method. Make sure the "Run interactive user session" test step option is selected.

– or –

The only thing I was able to do was the last item, Disable Support for Widows Store apps:

Tools/Options/Engines/General - uncheck "Enable support for Windows Store applications"

But once I did that the jenkins job stopped erroring with elevation error.

dcfecker
      Contributor

For added info since I just had to go through this again after a Jenkins Update. Some of the steps in the link above include outdated features in Jenkins. The most recent article from CloudBees show the quickest way to running Jenkins as a Service:

How-to-Install-Several-Windows-Slaves-as-a-Service