Forum Discussion

rusantos
Contributor
7 years ago

Is there an option that will count the number of checkpoints in the summary log?

Please refer to the image below:

Thanks,

Russel

9 Replies

cunderw
    Community Hero

While not default as part of the overview, but you can get the checkpoint count by Log.CheckpointCound in script.

rusantos
      Contributor

This will be helpful, I just need to find a way summarize all the results of all the checkpoint.

Thanks,

Russel

shankar_r
    Community Hero

I don't think Test Complete have that option, If you want this feature you can create Improvement request here

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Russel,

Out of curiosity... Can you provide your definition of checkpoint and a sample use case?

Assuming that checkpoint is a result of Log.Checkpoint command and/or any other checkpoint command provided by TestComplete (File, Region, web table, etc.) and that one test item can (and usually do) contain more than one checkpoint, what metric can be obtained from the summary that will have, say, text like "9 test items passed with 10 checkpoints" ? Will that mean that 8 test items have 1 checkpoint each and the 9th test item has 2 checkpoints? Can this help to figure out the situation when one test item contains all 10 checkpoints while 8 others contain none? Is the number of checkpoints somehow correlated with the quality of the given test?

Just wondering...

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Prime example... I have some test cases that I'm working with that only have 5 or 6 "checkpoint" calls in them.  Other functionality is tested using "if-then" logic to detect objects, error message, etc.  If all the checkpoints pass but one of those other logic statements fail, the test fails.  The detailed test log then gives me the why.  Likewise, if the logical tests pass but the one of the checkpoints fail, still, the test fails.

I have other test cases that have 20-30 checkpoints in them. A count, from the log, of all checkpoints and their individual result (pass or fail) is not important to me.  What's important is if the test case in total passes or fails.  If it passes, I really could care less what the checkpoints tell me.  If it fails, then I dive into the detail log to determine what, exactly, generated the error.

So, as AlexKaras, it might be helpful to know what usage you have for the checkpoint counts and how it relates to the status of any given test run/test case.  There may be better ways of achieving your goal.

rusantos
      Contributor

Hi Alex,

Based on the request that I have received, they are in need on the number of checkpoints not the number of test items.

For example, I have 10 project items wherein the items contains the steps on how the test goes.

All of the project items does not a checkpoint except for item #10 wherein It has 5 checkpoints (property, region, database etc.)

What I current did to satisfy their request is in the Summary Log, the information will be present:

*NOTE: My actual test may vary result, this is just for presentation.

Total number of project test items:10
      Executed project test items:10

Project Test Item Results
      Passed:9, including 0 warning(s)
      Failed:1

But on the last keyword , I have added a script That would count the checkpoints.

Total Number of Checkpoint : 5

Total Number of Checkpoint - PASS : 3

Total Number of Checkpoint - FAIL : 2

I hope my explanation is quite clear.

Would there be any suggestions with regards to increasing the quality of test, I would appreciate.

Thanks,

Russel

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

So, it's a matter of a reporting requirement by your client then?

What I would suggest, then, is to utilize the OnLogCheckpoint event handler to enumerate the checkpoints into a global variable.  This will at least enumerate the number passed as, I believe, failed checkpoints simply log as an error.

if the number of checkpoints is known, then, ahead of time, you could take that value from OnLogCheckpoint, subtract it from the known total to get the number of failed.  Then report this out as needed.