Forum Discussion

marinb
Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

How to start tests using parameters in VisualStudio integration

We use VisualStudio integration to run our suites in VSTS. Is it possible to control the parameters you send with the test so that TestExecute runs using these parameters? So far I only see to have control over the test items I want to run, but what if we want to run a specific script or simply give a parameter so we can parse it later in our scripts?

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/working-with/integration/ms-vs/alm/add-tc-tests.html

doesn't really say anything about parameters.

Screenie :

marinb
    6 years ago

I solved it for now by going back to my previous solution: Have the Release create a txt file with the required value (in our case, the Release.EnvironmentName) and have TestComplete read it.

I did see some options to overwrite parameters in the Test Assembly you use in the VSTS task list to start the TestComplete assembly, but failed to get it to work.

2 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe it is possible to do so with the direct integration to TestComplete.  Your best bet would be to create TestItems for each parameter set you wish to use and set the parameter defaults in the TestComplete project.

marinb
      Contributor

I solved it for now by going back to my previous solution: Have the Release create a txt file with the required value (in our case, the Release.EnvironmentName) and have TestComplete read it.

I did see some options to overwrite parameters in the Test Assembly you use in the VSTS task list to start the TestComplete assembly, but failed to get it to work.