Forum Discussion

Rajesh2
Contributor
8 years ago

How to import whole script from another script?

Hi Team,

Greetings,

I have created Unit scripts under Project Suite>Project>Advanced>Script in my project. I have 2 scripts, Script1 and Script2 which has 10 def blocks in each.

Now i need to import whole script 'Script1' in 'Script2' wherein i should be able to use the def blocks of Script1 in Script2. How to go about it?

example:

Program which is working

#Script2:

from Script1 import test1(), test2()

def callScript1Methods():

test1()

test2()

==========================

Program which isn't working

#Script2:

import Script1

test1()

test2()

The program which is working will be complex when there are 100 def blocks in a single script and you need to import all 100 def blocks separately. Can anyone plese let me know is there any alternative way of importing scripts? 

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

You can do either this

from Script1 import *
      test1()
      test2()

or this

import Script1
      Script1.test1()
      Script1.test2()

Notice in the second example, you need to explicitly indicate the unit from which you are getting the routine.  If you are using the syntax of from <unit> import * you don't need to specify the unit name in the method calls.

See https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/scripting/calling-routines/declared-in-another-unit/python.html

tristaanogre
      Esteemed Contributor

Unless my syntax is incorrect karthick7, USEUNIT is not supported for Python in TestComplete.  I tried the following:

#[Unit1]
      def test1():
          Log.Message('this is test 1')

#[Unit2]
      #USEUNIT Unit1
      def test2():
          Unit1.test1()

I'm not really a Python guy, but as far as I can tell, USEUNIT won't work. You must use either of the two methods that I indicated in my earlier post
  • Hi ,

Please Use USEUNIT Method.To Access the any function throughtout the scripts.