cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement complex logical scenario in a keyword driven automation framework

SOLVED
Contributor

How to implement complex logical scenario in a keyword driven automation framework

I have implemented Keyword driven framework for my project in which I have written functions for different actions that are being performed on the aplication e.g. Click, Input etc. I am Passing the objects alias name and keyword name through an excel sheet. A driver script is written to extract this data from Excel using DDT driver.So for every step of testcase I pass object's alias name and keyword to the driver script.

Now I need to create a test case in which I need to split a string and extract a number out of that, at one page and reapeat the same process on two other pages and after that compare results. I am not able to understand how should I implement it.Can someone please guide me.

How should I implement this scenarios in my framework. How can I store data extracted on each page and then perform calculation at the end.

Please give a sample code if possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Hero

Re: How to implement complex logical scenario in a keyword driven automation framework

Two suggestions:

1) Investigate using Project or Project Suite variables to store the values globally so that you can then access them in subsequent test steps.

2) If you'd prefer a more direct "code" solution, consider making a Script Extension Run Time Object that has properties that you can read from and write to that will be available between test steps/scenarios.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Hero

Re: How to implement complex logical scenario in a keyword driven automation framework

Two suggestions:

1) Investigate using Project or Project Suite variables to store the values globally so that you can then access them in subsequent test steps.

2) If you'd prefer a more direct "code" solution, consider making a Script Extension Run Time Object that has properties that you can read from and write to that will be available between test steps/scenarios.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Vegas Thrill Rider
Extensions available

View solution in original post

Community Manager

Hi @meenakshiyadav1,

This is a very important question and it's discussed quite often in the Community. Check one of the latest discussions in addition to tristaanogre's answer:

https://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-General-Discussions/Can-anyone-here-provide-me-Testc...

Community, more thoughts?

---------
Tanya Gorbunova
SmartBear Community Manager

Join SmartBear Connect next April in Boston to meet with software development, API and testing experts from around the world! Get your ticket today!
Contributor

Thanks for your reply @TanyaGorbunova. The link posted by @tristaanogre take me to a repository..I am not able to download anything from there and I am not sure I can I take benefit from that.

I have done Iinitial setup of a keyword driven framework  and it is working for me for automating simple actions on my AUT. I need guidance on handling complex scenarios, I am not sure how to take output from one step and utilize that in another step to perform calculation and camparison etc.

Contributor

Thanks for your reply Robert @tristaanogre. I will try these two things and will update status here.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Community Manager

Hi @meenakshiyadav1,

Do you mind sharing the solution you've found with us?

---------
Tanya Gorbunova
SmartBear Community Manager

Join SmartBear Connect next April in Boston to meet with software development, API and testing experts from around the world! Get your ticket today!
Contributor

Hi @TanyaGorbunova 

apologies for replying late on this.First solution provided by @tristaanogre   i.e. to use project variable has worked for me partially. To handle the complex scenarios completely, I am creating a seperate keyword for that perticular scenario.