Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a property checkpoint for hard code value & a variable

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

How to create a property checkpoint for hard code value & a variable

Hi, I am trying to create a property checkpoint for a 'WndCaption' property. Value should always match to "Last Visit 9/10/2015 (0 days ago)". Here date value may change and even the number 0 may change depending on the test case. I have tried using wild characters like "Last Visit * (* days ago)". But it's not working. Any suggestion please. Also is there anyway I can make sure date is today's date? I am using keyword testing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Hero

Re: How to create a property checkpoint for hard code value & a variable

the string you want to use as a baseline will look something like this:

"Last Visit " + aqDateTime.Today() + " (" + myvariablefornumberofdays + " days ago)"

Instead of using a Property Checkpoint, build your own with an If Then.  See attached screenshot.

What @Marsha_R said, but with two notes:

1) You may need to format the date using aqConvert.DateTimeToStr or aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr.

2) No need for If...Then -- you can use variables in checkpoints directly. First, create a checkpoint with the hard-coded value first. Then click the checkpoint's Value string, press F2 and replace the hard-coded value with a variable.

property-checkpoint-with-variable.png

Helen Kosova
SmartBear Technical Writer

Participate in the API Testing vs. UI Testing online community event to win great prizes!
5 REPLIES 5
Community Hero

the string you want to use as a baseline will look something like this:

"Last Visit " + aqDateTime.Today() + " (" + myvariablefornumberofdays + " days ago)"

Instead of using a Property Checkpoint, build your own with an If Then.  See attached screenshot.

What @Marsha_R said, but with two notes:

1) You may need to format the date using aqConvert.DateTimeToStr or aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr.

2) No need for If...Then -- you can use variables in checkpoints directly. First, create a checkpoint with the hard-coded value first. Then click the checkpoint's Value string, press F2 and replace the hard-coded value with a variable.

property-checkpoint-with-variable.png

Helen Kosova
SmartBear Technical Writer

Participate in the API Testing vs. UI Testing online community event to win great prizes!
Community Hero

We got away from using Property Checkpoints because they slowed our tests down considerably.  If Then runs a lot quicker even if it has more code than just an log message.

Contributor

Thanks Helen Kosova and Marsha for your help,

There is one more issue with month, I am using below code

"Last Visit "+ aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr(aqDateTime.Today(),"%m/%d/%Y") +" (0 days ago)"

I am getting expected value of month as "09" but it should be only "9"

Actual value "Last Visit 9/16/2015 (0 days ago)"
Expected value "Last Visit 09/16/2015 (0 days ago)"

what type of format I should use?

Contributor

Found the solution, by adding # flag (%#m) precedes the specifier, the leading zeros are removed from the number.

code should be somethign like this

"Last Visit "+ aqConvert.DateTimeToFormatStr(aqDateTime.Today(),"%#m/%d/%Y") +" (0 days ago)"

Thanks for all your help

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Join the Online Event to Win
Top Kudoed Authors