cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect to IBM Data Base in test complete

Frequent Contributor

How to connect to IBM Data Base in test complete

Our frame work is Keyword drivn framework. we have 2 excels. I excel wtih OR and other keyword driven Excel we use our test script.

Some times the value which are paseed in excel changes depending on the accounts we use. we are thinking to connect the IBM data base from test complete and get the data to the keyword excel. 

Is this possible? if yes what should we do

7 REPLIES 7
Community Hero

Re: How to connect to IBM Data Base in test complete

You want to use TestComplete to connect to a database to put values into an Excel sheet?  Not sure I understand why.  There are too many steps in here, I'm sure.

What are you actually trying to accomplish with your testing.  Maybe we can find an easier way.

Frequent Contributor

Marsha,

Right know what we do is we query the data base and find the accounts for our test data and manually add that in the keyword driven excel sheet under the value column. 

What we are trying to achieve instead of manully querying and putting the data. We like to  connet to our data base thru checkpoint and get the data and put those accounts (test data under value column in excel) while script is running.

Hope 

Community Hero

I still wouldn't update the spreadsheet... doesn't make any sense to write it to the spreadsheet when you're using it in the same code.

In any case, what I would use for connecting to your database is utilize the ADO object in TestComplete.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/program-objects/ado/index.html

This will allow you to build and create queries and execute them accordingly.

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Frequent Contributor

Thanks martin,

Is there any better way we can handle this?

Community Hero

Read it from the database as you need it rather than reading it from the spreadsheet.  

Frequent Contributor

Martha,

Thanks for Quick Reply. all other values  are reading from Excel. if i read this value from data base. How will we put that data or enter into application that we are working on.

just first time working on this.

Community Hero

Use the ADO driver that @tristaanogre mentioned to access the database data 

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/data-driven/drivers.html

It's similar to how you use Excel driver for the spreadsheet data.