Forum Discussion

clausbraatz
New Contributor
11 years ago

How can I assert if a value is equal to another

How can I assert that a value is equals to another?. What I am tryin to do is assert if a value is true, or maybe assert if a string is equals to another, but not using UI object properties. Is there any checkpoint or something like that to work with own variables?

39 Replies

sastowe
    Super Contributor
    Log.Checkpoint. So

If sString1 = sString1 then

Log.Checkpoint "The strings are equal","" ,,,Sys.Desktop.Picture()

end if

Is that what you meant?

mcp111
      Contributor

Where to write this code?

Also in my desktop application, the error message is displayed in a tooltip when I hover over an exclamation mark icon.

I need to read that tooltip message and then log to an external file that the test has passed

How to do this?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

You're asking a lot of information in a simple question, mcp111. :)  

So... to start with, the code is written in a Script unit.  Read the following for writing script tests in TestComplete.

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/scripting/overview.html

As for the tooltip, I would use Object Spy to determine how the tool tip shows up.  Sometimes the tooltip is its own object...  sometimes it's a property of the object that has the tool tip assigned.  So, you will need to first need to determine where the tool tip is.  From that point, it's either code a HoverMouse action over the exclamation mark icon and do a property checkpoint on the tool tip object... OR, do a property checkpoint on the exclamation mark icon for the tool-tip property...

chicks
    Regular Contributor
    This is javascript but I'm sure you can do the equivalent....

CheckEquals( displayeRetailerId, expectedRetailerID, "retailerID" );

function CheckEquals(aValue1, aValue2, aDescription) {

// Log.Message ("one: "+aValue1 + " two: "+ aValue2);

if (aValue1 != aValue2) {

Log.Error(aDescription + " '" + aValue1 + "' does NOT match value '" + aValue2+"'");

Log.Message("string 1 in additional info.", aValue1);

}

else {

Log.Checkpoint(aDescription + " '" + aValue1 + " matches value '"+ aValue2+ "'");

}

}