Forum Discussion

nramesh
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Guidance on VB automation scripting

My Web based application is undergoing an automation testing phase. How can i counter writing scripts in VB for the following scenario.The application will have 3 webpages A,B & C that run sequentially one after the other. However the page B gets loaded/appears only during  certain circumstances. Under this condition, how will my approach be to write a single VB script having both the below applicable conditions:

After Page A -> If Page B exists -> then proceed to Page C

and

After Page A ->  If Page B doesnot exist -> contiue and proceed to Page C

I was wondering if the event handlers tab would work for the above criterion? Would appreciate it if i can get guidance on the approach to be taken with an script structure  for the above coding.

Thank you in advance! 
  • I think it would be more like this... again, Pseudocode

PageA.ClickLink()

if (application.waitAliasChild("PageB", 3000).Exists then

PageB.ClickRadio()

PageC.DoAction;

Essentially, all you need to do is through in a check after you click the link on PageA to see if PageB comes up within a specified period fo time.

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    I think it would be more like this... again, Pseudocode

PageA.ClickLink()

if (application.waitAliasChild("PageB", 3000).Exists then

PageB.ClickRadio()

PageC.DoAction;

Essentially, all you need to do is through in a check after you click the link on PageA to see if PageB comes up within a specified period fo time.
    sbkeenan
    Frequent Contributor

Hi Navaneeth

I'm not entirely sure I understand exactly what it is you require here.  I'm assuming that once on Page A, something happens there, say a checkbox is checked or un-checked and this determines whether Page B is displayed next or not.  So, let's say that if the checkbox is ticked, Page B should be displayed, otherwise display Page C.

Assuming the above is correct, your could use script logic along the lines of:

'assumes Page A is currently displayed

if (checkboxCtrl.checked) 'should display Page b next

if (application.waitAliasChild("pageB", 3000).Exists)

Log.message("Page B correctly displayed.")

else

(Log.warning("Page B was not displayed.")

end if

else 'Page c should be displayed

if (application.waitAliasChild("pageC", 3000).Exists)

Log.message("Page B correctly skipped and Page C displayed.")

else

(Log.warning("Page C was not displayed.")

end if

end if

The above is more pseudocode than actual VBScript, but it's more about the required logic, assuming I've understood your initial query.  Hopefully it helps anyway.

Regards

Stephen.

nramesh
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Stephen,

There are no check boxes in Page A. It  only has a link button. So the structure goes as follows:

Click on the link in Page A - > Page B with radio buttons appears  (perform action) -> directs to page C

Click on the link in Page A -> Page B will not appear -> proceeds to Page C (directly from page A)  

Will this require a seperate approach?
    nramesh
    Occasional Contributor

Thnank you Mr.Robert. Would this be the right approach for my script then? is the syntax right?

form.linkACB.Click

page.Wait

if (form.fieldsetHellopage.waitAliasChild("radiobuttonStartNewApplication",3000).Exists Then

form.fieldsetHellopage.radiobuttonStartANewApplication.ClickButton

Set imageButton = form.imagebuttonButtonNext1

Call imageButton.Click

page.Wait

Else

Call

Objects.cell.Check(Aliases.browser.pageXYZ.formForm1.tableErrmsgimg.cell)

End If

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Without knowing the full context of your application, I can't say definitively but that appears to be correct.