Forum Discussion

shankar_r
Community Hero
6 years ago

Framework in 12 mins

I have a created a video which will demonstrate how to create a worth framework inside 15 mins. checkout

12 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

I like it!

I'm sure it will help many new testers who think of how a testing framework should look like, where to get started to create a useful framework, etc. Thanks for preparing such a great video and sharing it with us!

More videos will come soon? :)

shankar_r
      Community Hero

TanyaYatskovska wrote:

More videos will come soon? :)

Thank you TanyaYatskovska , I'm in progress of creating few more videos on the TestComplete frequently used functionalities. :smileyhappy: 

karkadil
    Valued Contributor

Hi Shankar,

I'd like to criticize a little here.

1. The quality of the video is really bad. It is almost impossible to see the code, even though I watch the video in the best quality YouTube suggests me (720p). This is the reason I stopped watching the video after 5 mins. I'm attaching a screenshot of what I see on the screen.

2. There are some voices on the background, probably from your colleagues. It really annoys, such videos should be recorded in silence, e.g. in an empty room.

3. Using eval function isn't recommended in JavaScript, it complicates debugging. And you use eval on the high level, wrapping the whole code executed (see for instance, answer on StackOverflow ).

My general impression - I wouldn't recommend using this video as a tutorial, especially for novices

shankar_r
      Community Hero

Thanks, Gennadiy for the valuable suggestions, This is my first ever YouTube video so It should have some pitfalls. I will try my best on the next video so the user can enjoy learning!

karkadil wrote:

3. Using eval function isn't recommended in JavaScript, it complicates debugging. And you use eval on the high level, wrapping the whole code executed (see for instance, answer on StackOverflow ).

I agree with what you are saying but eval is not recommended in JavaScript but It's been working for me for the past 5 years and I'm able to debug the code. We have another possibility which is Runner.CallMethod may we can replace the eval by that. Eval  basically restricted for security concern which is not applicable in Automation scripting.  
        karkadil
        Valued Contributor

shankar_r , starting from 10:30 the video has some creepy audio and video artifacts.

Also, it is a good idea to enlarge the font size, but it looks like you changed the tool for screen recording. It is focusing on currently active controls (or current mouse position, or something else). As a result, sometimes it is difficult to understand, where and why the focus moved.

Probably it would be better to use lower resolution to record the video, but always record the full screen.

P.S. Have you changed your voice? :)