cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find and Replace with Regular Expression in Script using Javascript

SOLVED
Occasional Contributor

Find and Replace with Regular Expression in Script using Javascript

Hi, i'm having trouble with doing a find and replace using regex on a string in a script using Javascript.

The idea is to get rid of all multiple consecutive white space characters in the string and leave only single spaces in their place .... so....      |  this  has      too      much |      would become     | this has too much |

My plan was to just locate anywhere where there's 2 or more whitespaces and replace them with a single whitespace.  I couldn't figure out the {2,} style to say 2 or more then I got tangled up and now I'm here.

Below is test code to demonstrate:

var regEx;
  var ResStr = "";
  var Instr = "   Words   with too much  space    |";
  regex = "\b+";
  ResStr = Instr.replace(regEx,' ');
  BuiltIn.ShowMessage(ResStr);

The result is an unaltered string.  The goggles.... they do nothing...

Any tips on where I'm going wrong?

Pete Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Find and Replace with Regular Expression in Script using Javascript

Hi @peridde,

If you need to remove extra spaces, you can simply call the aqString.Trim method. The article below contains the description of this method, as well as useful examples:

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/reference/program-objects/aqstring/trim.html

---------
Tanya Gorbunova
SmartBear Community Manager

Did my reply answer your question? Give Kudos or Accept it as a Solution to help others.↓↓↓↓↓
Community Hero

I THINK it's because you're not actually creating a regEx but using a string... 

Now, I didn't get the regEx to find ALL the extra spaces... I'm not so well versed in the syntax to figure that out.... but this gave some partial success.

function yaditty(){
  var regEx;
  var ResStr = "";
  var Instr = "   Words   with too much  space    |";
  regEx = /\b +\b/;
  ResStr = Instr.replace(regEx, ' ');
  Log.Message(Instr);
  Log.Message(ResStr);
}

Robert Martin
[Community Expert Group]
Please consider giving a Kudo if I write good stuff
----

Why automate?  I do automated testing because there's only so much a human being can do and remain healthy.  Sleep is a requirement.  So, while people sleep, automation that I create does what I've described above in order to make sure that nothing gets past the final defense of the testing group.
I love good food, good books, good friends, and good fun.

Mysterious Gremlin Master
Extensions available
Occasional Contributor

Thanks tristaanogre,  that tipped me off.  Needed the gi switch at the end to work and it was using the javascript re syntax not the native testcomplete one.  Below is the working code. 

function UseRegex()
  {
    var regex = /\s+/gi;
    var Instr = "    Words    with too much space    |";
    var ResStr = Instr.replace(regex," ");   
    Log.Message(ResStr); 
  }
2018 NEWS
Top Kudoed Authors