Forum Discussion

ovmold
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

Error while using NetworkSuite.GetRemoteOLEObject

Hello everybody!

I'd like to use NetworkSuite.GetRemoteOLEObject to start windows application on the remote VM. Address, Domain, Username and Password are correct, I can login to this VM with these credentials. The TestComplete service is running on the remote VM. When I start this function from the test script, I receive "Failed to establish an RDP connection with a remote computer". Where can be a problem? What should I configure on the remote or/and on the host machines? 

Thanks in advance.

"

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

What application are you trying to start on the remote box? Is it GUI-based or can run unattended without any UI interface?

You are using network suite. Any real reason of why you need to start application remotely instead of let network suite to trigger a job on the remote box and start required application locally?

ovmold
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I want to start Windows command prompt on the remote machine.  I use "WScript.shell" as a name of the OLEObject. Actually, i didn't want to start TestComplete project on the remote VM. I thought that with this method it would be easier. I didn't want to create an additional TestComplete project only for executing Sys.OleObject(). But it looks like I should do this.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

OK...

First note:

> I didn't want to create an additional TestComplete project [...]

This is not required. Please read the documentation for the Network Suite functionality. It will be the same project that is running on the Master box. You will just make it accessible for TestComplete on the remote box (copy, network share, whatever else...) and indicate what code to execute on the remote machine.

Now, more significant note:

-- I assume that Windows command prompt start assumes some GUI (cmd prompt window);

-- If my assumption is correct, then active not locked user session must exist on the remote computer and command prompt must be started within this session. Did you have active not locked session?

-- As per documentation, .GetRemoteOLEObject() interacts with the TestComplete service and this service is usually running on behalf of Local System which does not have active user session and thus is not able to create GUI-based applications;

-- Finally, verify that remote connections are allowed on the remote machine for required users.

> But it looks like I should do this.

Yes.

(All at all - I hope that you are starting command prompt not just for fun;) but will need to interact with it in the course of your test. Thus you will need some TestComplete code to run on the remote box.)