Forum Discussion

simonaferrara
Frequent Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

Error product license bound to another hardware

Hi,

I've got the following error when starting Test Execute:

"The product license is bound to another hardware.

Probably, you are trying to use an inappropriate license copy."

It appears since when I have moved the virtual machine to another physical computer.

I've found some information here https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/licensing/troubleshooting/the-product-license-is-bound-to-another-hardware.html#:~:text=TestComplete%20licenses%20are%20bound%20to,inform%20you%20about%20the%20issue.

but it doesn't give me the solution... I cannot rebind the license because it give me an error.

How can I verify the wrong binding and resolve the issue?

Any suggestion?

It is urgent, because it blocks our test execution.

Thanks 

Simona

3 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

If this doesn't help, then contact Support directly https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/

https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/licensing/about.html

We recommend activating licenses on physical computers. Using virtual and cloud machines is also possible but may require more effort. When you activate a license on these machines, it becomes bound to the physical computer on which that machine is running. If the virtual machine is moved to another physical computer, TestComplete will refuse to start. Similarly, if a cloud machine is stopped, then, the next time, it will start on a new physical computer, and the check TestComplete performs upon the start will fail. To avoid this, you need to ensure that the MAC address and CPU data don’t change after the virtual (or cloud) machine restarts. See also Using TestComplete on Virtual Machines and Using TestComplete on Cloud Computers.

simonaferrara
      Frequent Contributor

Hi Marsha_R , thank you for your reply! 

I add some information about the scenario/configuration, based of your explanations:

- the TestComplete/TestExecute license is activated on a physical computer, and it is a floating type license

- the virtual machines resides within another physical machines (different from the one where the license is activated), and each virtual machine is configured to access to the remote license manager.

- all the mac addresses of all the machines are different (into the new virtual machines, I've generated new mac addresses)

So, the "license manager" machine is not changed. But other physical machines have been created (to increase our scenarios) and, into each new machine, a clone of the virtual machine is copied.

Test Execute must be launched during the night to execute tests, but randomically and each time for different machines (mostly if both the scenarios -the old and the new one- run the tests in nightly), the error relating to the binding appears.

By checking the Sentinel site into the license manager machine, it seems all ok:

but, into the virtual machines, it appears a license that is "Disabled due to Cloning", with "Local" location:

but it seems there is no way to delete this record.

This could be the issue that cause the error? Any suggestion of how to delete this disabled license from the virtual machine?

Thanks!

Simona