cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current user of TC12.60 w/ valid maint. sub - upgraded to TC14 - unable to startup

SOLVED
New Contributor

Current user of TC12.60 w/ valid maint. sub - upgraded to TC14 - unable to startup

Hi all !

My company recently upgraded from TC12 to TC14.

I had a TC12 project working fine onto a VB6 program.

Since the upgrade to TC14, the TC projects stops at about each line... i'm unable to use/record proper links to most VB objects : Comboboxes, checkboxes, datagrid, most homemade OCX objects are messed up :

- The "highlight" fonction shows proper control on the screen

- The execution says "Invalid object identification criteria" when getting to the control

- I see many errors in the identification properties :

* The controls are linked to other controls of the frames ! combobox on textbox, and so on...

* Most NativeVBObject.Name properties are showing "error message"

* When i try to "correct" the properties, i get an error message "incorrect reference"

* If i delete the object and record again, i get properties : "Error: get property NativeVBObject.Name"

It's impossible to run the project, it takes me 10mn per line to correct/adapt, deleting/recording/deleting/recording again...

Is there a hint i did not follow during the upgrading process or is there a problem with VB6 objects in TC14 ?

Thanks for your help to come !

Smiley Happy

Sincerely,

Olivier

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Community Hero

Re: Current user of TC12.60 w/ valid maint. sub - upgraded to TC14 - unable to startup

Hi Olivier,

Hm-m-m... Sounds wierd...

As per documentation, no special actions are required to test VB6 applications with TestComplete.

I would suggest to try this:

-- Reinstall TestComplete 14 anew (do not unregister node-locked license it prompted);

-- Reboot your computer;

-- Try to convert test project one more time (using either the created backup or original project for TC12).

If nothing from above helps, you'd better to create a Support ticket via the https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete form to speed-up the process.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================

View solution in original post

New Contributor

Re: Current user of TC12.60 w/ valid maint. sub - upgraded to TC14 - unable to startup

Thanks a lot, Community Hero Smiley Happy , i will try that !

Have a very nice day !

3 REPLIES 3
Community Hero

Hi Olivier,

Hm-m-m... Sounds wierd...

As per documentation, no special actions are required to test VB6 applications with TestComplete.

I would suggest to try this:

-- Reinstall TestComplete 14 anew (do not unregister node-locked license it prompted);

-- Reboot your computer;

-- Try to convert test project one more time (using either the created backup or original project for TC12).

If nothing from above helps, you'd better to create a Support ticket via the https://support.smartbear.com/message/?prod=TestComplete form to speed-up the process.

Regards,
Alex
[Community Expert Group]
____
[Community Expert Group] members are not employed by SmartBear Software but
are just volunteers who have some experience with the tools by SmartBear Software
and a desire to help others. Postings made by [Community Expert Group] members
may differ from the official policies of SmartBear Software and should be treated
as the own private opinion of their authors and under no circumstances as an
official answer from SmartBear Software.
[Community Expert Group] signature is used with permission by SmartBear Software.
http://smartbear.com/forums/f83/t86934/community-experts/
================================

New Contributor

Thanks a lot, Community Hero Smiley Happy , i will try that !

Have a very nice day !

New Contributor

Hi again ! Smiley Happy

I just got a solution for my problem, and it's good enough, so i make everyone benefit of the info (because it worked !!) :

The link seems limited in time, but we KNOW now that some workaround is available for VB ! Anyway, i'm joining the zip file, i don't know if antivirus will let it go thru you Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thanks again for your time !

Sincerely,

Olivier

"

We've recently uncovered a bug where TestComplete 14 was not able to access the internal methods and properties of a visual basic application. We've recently made a patch to which should resolve this problem. Please apply the patch below and let me know if TestComplete is able to access the properties again:

1. Download the patch archive (TestComplete_14_0_CC_16798.zip) using the following link:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/webtocasefiles/2019/65f8d752-e049-f301-0b4c-492134f2b3ef/2019_02_25-18_11_4...[https://s3.amazonaws.com/webtocasefiles/2019/65f8d752-e049-f301-0b4c-492134f2b3ef/2019_02_25-18_11_4...]

2. After you have downloaded the archive, unzip the patch file to the appropriate location (back up the existing file before doing this, just in case):
\Bin\Extensions\tcVBHook.dll => %programfiles(x86)%\SmartBear\TestComplete 14\Bin\Extensions\tcVBHook.dll
"

New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Final Interview in the Series
API_testing_mistake#7