Forum Discussion

MarkSchofer
Frequent Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Consistency and Expediency -Common Scripts within Tests

I am not looking for badges or any of those trinkets. I simply have a ton of questions.

I am working to make tests as consistent as possible and right now I would give my self a solid C minus.

I developed some scripts and keyword tests to do common tasks. 
For Example

Script to close all browsers
Keyword Tests to login into the correct instance.

My intention was to call either/both in every case so that tests could run more consistently.  Right now I only have around 20 (being pretty much in BETA) but I can see this getting in the thousands.  If I change a script or keyword test WITHIN another test do I have to move this script/keyword test to every single test case?

I may have asked similar in regards to execution plans but I am hoping it is different for tests.

• Hello MarkSchofer -

Not to worry! We love questions.

I am just a little lost on your question here - if you were to modify the steps in your Login test that was being called in other tests, you would not have to make those changes to the login test everywhere. The changes would be central to the login thats being called. 

If this does not answer your question please let me know - as I am not sure I am understanding it properly.

Cheers,

Emma

2 Replies

• Hello MarkSchofer -

Not to worry! We love questions.

I am just a little lost on your question here - if you were to modify the steps in your Login test that was being called in other tests, you would not have to make those changes to the login test everywhere. The changes would be central to the login thats being called. 

If this does not answer your question please let me know - as I am not sure I am understanding it properly.

Cheers,

Emma

• Hi MarkSchofer 

Hope you are well. 

where ever the script item is, thats all you need to worry about making changes/editing. 

For example, in my keyword/script repository I have an item called Test1. 

But I have used within other tests or within my Execution plan. 

As Long as I update the main item, in this case its Test1 this will automatically update where ever its being used/reused. 

Execution plan will help you reuse and run multiple items for different scenarios as your framework grows

Hope that helps 

KR

Vincent