Forum Discussion

TCqauser
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Change the Temporary Variables set in TC project via Visual Studio Test in TFS

I just want to know if its possible to change the "Temporary Variables" you set in a project, in TC, via Visual Studio Test task or other tasks, in TFS?

For example say that I have a couple of build definitions created in TFS, and every definition point to a different server.

And in my TC tests I have pointed out in the "Temporary Variables" which URLs it should point to.

So when it come to the builds in TFS I want to replace the URLs set in "Temporary Variables", with new URLs, specific for that specific build.

So now I wonder if this task is even possible? Replacing variables in TC tests, with Visual Studio Test task or other tasks available for TFS.

• Hi TCqauser,

I am not sure about the project variables being updated via a TFS task. What I do is I have a configuration file (a simple text file) with the server URL and the browser I want to execute on. You can edit/read from that file and decide what configuration you want to run against. In your case you have a seperate file for each server if you find that easier to manage.

4 Replies

• Hi TCqauser,

I am not sure about the project variables being updated via a TFS task. What I do is I have a configuration file (a simple text file) with the server URL and the browser I want to execute on. You can edit/read from that file and decide what configuration you want to run against. In your case you have a seperate file for each server if you find that easier to manage.

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thank you Reshail.

Hi TCqauser , please let us know if the suggested approach works for you. 

sonya_m
        SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

TCqauser any updates on your situation? Please share your progress:smileyhappy: