Forum Discussion

james_attree
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Can you use different versions of Test Complete and Test Execute together?

Hello,

I'm currently running Test Complete and Test Execute version 9.30.3373.7

At the moment we write our tests on a test machine with Test Complete running and then push the project to our vcs. When we do a build, our build server pulls from the vcs and runs the tests with Test Execute.

It may not be possible to update the build server to the latest version of Test Execute for a little while. Unfortunately, I can only do web testing on IE with my version of Test Complete as the extensions for Firefox and Chrome do not support my version.

I would like to upgrade my version of Test Complete so I can continue web testing other browsers but I'm afraid upgrading one and not the other will cause issues and I do not want that.

Is it possible to upgrade Test Complete to version 10 and keep Test Execute at version 9?

5 Replies

karkadil
    Valued Contributor
    It is not possible.

Probably, there is some workaround for this, but most likeli it is simply impossible.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi James,

As far as I know, using both TestComplete/TestExecute versions is allowed during the period needed to transform your tests.

But, I think it's better if you clarify this with the Sales team at sales@automatedqa.com.

karkadil
    Valued Contributor
    Tanya, as I understood the question, this is not about the legality of usage, but the ability to run tests on an earlier version of the product. E.g. the tests are created in TC 10 and they want to run them on TE 9.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hey Gena,

Now, only James can settle our dispute to avoid the battle :)

chrisb
    Regular Contributor
    I recently tried to do this when troubleshooting an issue I had with scheduling test runs. It was not possible. You'll need TE10 to run TC10 tests.