Forum Discussion

yuchang
Contributor
11 years ago

Can not find the Object running via VMware Player in Object Browser

1. Use VMware Player to run a virtual machine image.

2. In TestComplete use "Record Script" to recod the execution on the VMware Player, for example, to launch an IE browser and key in an URL address.

3. Stop recording script.

4. Check the recorded script, there is nothing about the text typing for URL address. Only clicking on the Window of the VMware Player.

5. Check the Object Browser, there is no object related to the IE browser opened in the VMware Player.

5 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Roy,

TestComplete sees your VM window as an image, it cannot recognize individual objects.

To record/execute tests, TestComplete should be installed on the same computer where the tested application is launched. This is a VM in your case.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Roy,

If you are using a Floating User license, you can install TestComplete on as many computers as you can. You only need to pay attention to the number of product copies that can be launched at a time.

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    The scripts created by TestComplete during a record are dependant upon the objects being recorded.  Those objects may change depending upon the context of the recording.  For that reason, recording of scripts and tests are temporary only, IMO.  If you want to be able to transport a recording from one environment to another you may need to do some editing of your script to account for the differences in environments.
  • The problem is now I am using VMware Player to switch different OS images to test different web browsers.
    Can I install TestComplete to all images and run test one by one? How to do this?
    dla
    New Contributor
    Hi Tanya,

I have a few test scripts that were recorded on a Win7 desktops and they works perfectly fine on any PC.  However, I also encountered a few object not recognized when running the same scripts on a VM.

Pertain to your response above, does it mean I have to re-record my scripts on a VM in order to run them on VM?  If so, doesn't that implies that TestComplete can only work on either VM or PC?