Forum Discussion

blatec
Occasional Contributor
9 years ago

Can i log some text to the "Extended Message" Panel?

Hi,

is it possible to log some informations to the "Extended Message" panel?

Or is there a better way to describe which tests are executed by an testitem. (should be alse displayed in the exported web-view).

In my example (see picture), i create an individual customer with a postal address, a electronic address etc. etc.

How can i store this infomation in order to find it also in the exported log file.

best regards

Horst

7 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Horst,

Take a look at the description of the Log.Message/Log.Warning/Log.Error commands and their keyword equivalents. The contents of their second parameter appears in the Extended Message panel.

blatec
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I think you speaking about the "AdditionalInformation" parameter

As decribed in the description

"

AdditionalInformation

Additional text to be displayed in the Additional Info pane of the Test Log. AdditionalInformation can hold data of any type compatible with OLE. If it cannot be converted to text, its value is ignored.

The AdditionalInformation parameter can also hold HTML code. The test engine will compile the HTML page and display it in the Additional Info pane. For more information, see Posting Messages to the Log.

"

this parameter writes information to the Additional Info Pane and not to the "Extended Message"

Maybe i do something wrong?

regards

Horst

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Oops...

Yes, you are absolutely correct.

Unfortunaly, I don't know how (and even not sure if this is possible) to pupolate the Extended Message panel with some custom data.

Maybe someone else (Support?) will comment here...

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Horst,

"Extended Message" is reserved for TestComplete error messages. You can't add custom text there.

blatec
      Occasional Contributor

Hi,

thanks for the answer.

Is there any other way to document the purpose of a testitem, without using external tools.

I always get the questions from the project managers and customers, what the testitems do....

Its very hard to find it out from the teststeps in the web - log.

regards

Horst