Forum Discussion

jmcwhinney
Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Auto-wait timeout - not working

Hi, I am evaluating TestComplete as a possible tool for testing upgrades to our ERP.

I have found that the payback->auto-wait timeout property does not seem to work.

No matter how high I set the auto-wait timout (I have gone as high as 100000) , testcomplete only waits about 4 seconds for a window to open before reporting that it cannot find the window.

Thanks in advance,

- James
  • Hi James,

Increasing the auto-wait timeout may not be very productive when a new dialog is opened when executing a test. We recommend that you use the Wait* methods for this. TestComplete will wait for a new object until the timeout is over, or the object is fully loaded and ready for testing. Please refer to the "Waiting for an Object, Process or Window Activation" article for more information.

5 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi James,

Increasing the auto-wait timeout may not be very productive when a new dialog is opened when executing a test. We recommend that you use the Wait* methods for this. TestComplete will wait for a new object until the timeout is over, or the object is fully loaded and ready for testing. Please refer to the "Waiting for an Object, Process or Window Activation" article for more information.

• For some reason, the application was not respecting the default auto-wait timeout of 10 seconds.  Testcomplete was barely waiting 4 seconds.

It turned out that the issue was related to the first command to be executed after the window opened.  Rather than attempting to past text directly into a field, I had to click the window first to make sure it was active.  After doing that, testcomplete started waiting for the window to finish opening before failing.

Thanks,

- James