Forum Discussion

GradyJr
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

web table checkpoints

Up to this point I have been using TestComplete to test our desktop application. Now I am working on our Online/web based product. with the desktop testing there was a TableCheckpoint operation that i could drag and drop into the keyword test, select a cell and, voila, a check for all table cell values created.  How do i accomplish the same thing for a table on a web page such as the one in the attached image?

Thanks!

• I've never actually figured out a way to simply create a checkpoint for a web table so I've reached the conclusion that I must simply trudge through in record mode and select every individual table cell as a property checkpoint. Fortunately, so far, there's only been one or two really large tables. If I every find something simpler, I'll let you know but, for now, this is what i'm going with.

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

I believe you'd use the same.  If it is actually detected as a Table object, you can use the same checkpoint.

GradyJr
      Contributor

I actually tried that before I created the post. the result was the "unable to retrieve table data for the checkpoint" error as shown in the attached image. I went through several TestComplete help screens such as "Parsing HTML Tables" and found some sample code that did parse through a very small table below the table I'm working on and I even found a link you provided in a post from 08-05-2011 about Web Table Checkpoints but I was unable to find the blog article referenced by the link (http://blog.smartbear.com/post/10-09-10/new-testcomplete-html-table-checkpoint-%e2%80%93-simplify-cr...).  The table I'm dealing (from the image in my first post) is nested inside three <div> levels. The little table at the bottom that it did find was not inside any other tags. Not sure if that's help info or not but thought i'd throw it in there anyway.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

Check how table is marked up on the page. If it is marked as a regular html table, then table checkpoint should work. The case is that majority of tables nowadays are emulated as a set of divs and other web elements that together look like the table on the rendered page but are loosely related one to another considering their html markup.