Forum Discussion

vthomeschoolmom
Super Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

returning TestComplete user understanding object recognition in web app looking at a <form> tag

I have not used TestComplete in a few years, returning after some work with Selenium and Ranorex. I used Test Complete with a desktop application for a few years, but now am entering Test Complete with web. I need to get out of xpathy mindset. :)

I am looking at a form tag on my page which has an id of "LOGINSTART_9fa8e150-5ba9-699a-4414-5320689d07d2" as I see in in the browser developer tools. The object was identified by Test Complete with ObjectType = form. When I edit it in Name Mapping, id is not one of the options, but idStr is. I could use that property. But I dont see a sstarts with operator or how to use regex or anything to use part of a value rather than the whole value.

So basically, I am looking for an understanding of object recognition in the web space in general where object identifiers are vague and/or dynamic with this example to start. Do anyone have a reference in the excellent but voluminous documentation I should start with and/or what you would do with this form object? 

Thanks

Stephanie

• Within the value field for the object in NameMapping, regex isn't available.  However, you can use the * symbol to wild-card dynamic pieces.

The way the engine works, is that it works on a tree structure first and then properties next.  

1 Reply

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Within the value field for the object in NameMapping, regex isn't available.  However, you can use the * symbol to wild-card dynamic pieces.

The way the engine works, is that it works on a tree structure first and then properties next.