Forum Discussion

Philip_Baird
Community Expert
11 years ago

ZAPI

Hi, we are currently installing JIRA as our issue management system including Zephyr for test case management.

With this we are also looking at installing ZAPI (the REST Api for Zephyr), primarily so a test run for automated test cases can automatically be created when a test is run in Test Complete.

Has anyone else interfaced between Test Complete and JIRA using ZAPI?

If so, when is the best time to call the API? I would like to be able to do it as the last step in a test, creating a test run and saying whether it passed or failed (as a minimum).

Regards,

Phil Baird

6 Replies

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert

Hi Dav U, I have been making some progress on this, as much as coming up with a clear strategy for implementing our integration.

Basically, our requirements are:

1. Each Test in Test Complete is represented by a Zephyr Test in JIRA

2. When each Test in Test Complete is executed as part of a batch run, the result is automatically entered into JIRA as part of a Test Cycle using ZAPI.

3. There is no requirement for Zephyr to drive Test Complete in any way

The strategy we put together is to implement a three phase execution process which is outlined below.

1. Batch Initialisation

a. Creates identifier for the batch run which is stored in a file

b. Creates folder to store results based on the identifier

c. Creates folder to store logs based on the identifier

2. Batch Execution

a. Configures known Project Variables which contain the path to the results and log files

b. Execute all tests in a batch

1. Each test knows the JIRA Ids of the Zephyr Test and the Project in which it is contained

2. At completion, each test

a. Exports the test log to the logs folder

b. Creates and stores a result file in the result folder containing

1. JIRA Project Id

2. JIRA Test Id

3. Result (pass or fail)

4. Location of the Log file

3. Batch finalisation

a. Processes all result files to identify

1. All Projects

2. All results for each Project

b. Creates Test Cycles in all identified Projects

c. Creates Executions for all tests in executed in each Project

d. Executes these Executions

All the plumbing code for this is to be written in Test Complete (I have already written a fair chunk) and batch execution is to be controlled by an application written in C# which is effectively a wrapper around the Test Execute COM Object.

We chose to write this application to provide the granulation of Test Execution not provided by the Test Execute command line.

We aren't really integrating Test Complete and Zephyr, rather using Zephyr as a results repository to provide traceability to JIRA Issues.

Regards,

Phil Baird

matt_kuhn
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Phil. Just curious if you ever made any progress with this? I just found that my company just purchased Zephyr for Jira so now I feel a bit compelled to use it. I love the metrics that it produces. It just doesnt have anything for automation which is a huge part of our testing. 
    Philip_Baird
    Community Expert
    Hi Matt, I did make some progress.

The REST API is fairly straight forward and I started writing a Script Extension to handle the Test Complete integration.

Unfortunately, a project and priority change at work has meant that I have had to put this on hold for a while.

One important thing to note is that ZAPI does not come with Zephyr, it is a separate plugin that requires its own licence separate from the Zephyr licence.

Regards,

Phil Baird

• Phil-

Our company is interested in this too. Were you able to sucessfully integrate Zaphyr with Testcomplete