Forum Discussion

aditya2008a
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Working On Web Pages

Hi, I am trying to automate the testing of a web based application using TC. I recorded a keyword test to test a page which is opened after choosing a particular option from a panel. The panel works when the mouse is placed over it. But if you try to click on the required tab the dropdown list previously shown disappears.I recorded the test just by rolling the mouse over the option.When I try to run this test it doesnt work.Creating a low level test would be a big problem in subsequent steps.What do I do??Please help asap.

3 Replies

• Hi,

But if you try to click on the required tab the dropdown list previously shown disappears.I recorded the test just by rolling the mouse over the option.

When recording a script or a keyword test, TestComplete records mouse clicks, keystrokes, selections of items, etc., but it does not record mouse movements. So, to place the mouse pointer over the needed object, you can use the HoverMouse action.

Creating a low level test would be a big problem in subsequent steps.What do I do??

Add the 'On-Screen Action' operation to the needed place of your keyword test (where the object is supposed to be hovered). Select the object you need to place the mouse pointer over from the 'Select Object' page. Select the HoverMouse method from the list of the 'Specify Method or Property' page.

Let me know if you need anymore assistance.
    aditya2008a
    Occasional Contributor
    Doesn't recording mouse clicks cause problem sometimes?? Suppose I recorded a key word test in which I am clicking a button in the second step. And in the next build of the application, it is shifted by such pixels that the click is no longer on the button. Wont the previously recorded test fail?
  • Hi ,

Doesn't recording mouse clicks cause problem sometimes?? Suppose I recorded a key word test in which I am clicking a button in the second step. And in the next build of the application, it is shifted by such pixels that the click is no longer on the button. Wont the previously recorded test fail?

If the tested application is not Open, such a shift can cause problems during the playback. However, this is not a problem when the application is Open.