Forum Discussion

esramirez
Contributor
11 years ago

Windows 8.1 Modern UI - Testcomplete 10 cant identify any of the UI object

I have a XAML-based Windows Store application on Windows 8.1 and TestComplete cant identify any of the UI object hence unable to interact with the app.

I have read through the Testcomplete online about testing store app.

At this moment the app is deployed using the "side loading"  technique. Also i have installed testcomplete in program files x86 folder as suggested in the online help. Futheremore, Windows UAC is disabled and I logged on with a user with administrative right.

I have contacted SmartBear support but they refered me back to the online help. 

Any suggestions will be highgly appreciated

6 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Enrique,

Check whether the DirectUIHWND and Windows.UI.Core.CoreWindow classes are specified and enabled in the Tools | Current Project Properties | Open Applications | UI Automation project settings:

If this doesn't help, check the window class of the main window of your app and try adding it to the UI Automation settings.

• Additional information regarding my test environment.

The application is build on .NETCore,Version=v4.5.1 framework. I am not sure this makes any diference to TestComplete  but thought of mentioning it.
  • Thank you very much for responding to my query.

I took a closer look at the installed extensions in TestComplete. I didnt find any extension with the name: UI Automation Support. I read throught http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/62886/ and this talks about that i must have an extension with such name installed. And if it is not available to reinstall testcomplete which i did but didnt work. Testcomplete wont recognize any objects inside the store app (xaml based).

I have testcomplete 10.0.531.7 enterprise. 

Why is UI Automation Support plugin missing? and where can I get it. 
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Enrique,

The UI Automation Support plugin is included into TestComplete's installer.

You may try to uninstall TestComplete on the problematic box and install it anew. Note, that in this case it is not required to deactivate the license when prompted by TC's installer - just leave the license activated and it will be picked-up after you reinstall TestComplete.

Hope this will help...
  • Hi Alex,

I reinstalled TC per your suggestion. I now see the UI Automation extension listed as installed in TC; however, it still cant see any ui objects in the windows store app.

Is there something perhaps the developers should set/turn on/enable so TC can have access to the ui objects?