Forum Discussion

jorgesimoes1983
Regular Contributor
9 years ago
Solved

Windows 10 - Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working

I installed WIN10 yesterday, and last version of TestComplete, everything seems to work fine, although after running my Project Suite, got the error below:

"Windows 10 - Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in"

Has anyone experienced this issue? Solutions?

jorgesimoes1983
    9 years ago

The problem, happened again... but I solved it like this (at least until Microsoft solves the problem...)

I move the window down, so the tests can run as expected.

Maybe it helps someone

/**
    * Moves 'Critical error' window down<br>
    * @method erroCriticalErrorWin10()
    */
    function erroCriticalErrorWin10(){
    var propriedade = new Array("WndClass", "Name");
    var valor = new Array("Shell_Dialog", 'Window("Shell_Dialog", "Critical Error", 1)');
    var limite = 0;

objCriticalError = Sys.Process("explorer").Find(propriedade, valor, 20, true);
    if(objCriticalError.Exists){
    Log.Message(objCriticalError.Name);
    objCriticalError.Position(0,1020,0,0);
    }
    }

7 Replies

jorgesimoes1983
      Regular Contributor

Yes it's clearly a windows issue.

It hasn't happened again yet, although I was wandering if anyone had any issues of this kind :)

jorgesimoes1983
        Regular Contributor

The problem, happened again... but I solved it like this (at least until Microsoft solves the problem...)

I move the window down, so the tests can run as expected.

Maybe it helps someone

/**
        * Moves 'Critical error' window down<br>
        * @method erroCriticalErrorWin10()
        */
        function erroCriticalErrorWin10(){
        var propriedade = new Array("WndClass", "Name");
        var valor = new Array("Shell_Dialog", 'Window("Shell_Dialog", "Critical Error", 1)');
        var limite = 0;

objCriticalError = Sys.Process("explorer").Find(propriedade, valor, 20, true);
        if(objCriticalError.Exists){
        Log.Message(objCriticalError.Name);
        objCriticalError.Position(0,1020,0,0);
        }
        }

• Last week I got critical error start menu and cortana are not working. I don't know the solution but after browsing I able to get rid of this issue. I uninstall the antivirus and check but issue still same. Then i fix this error via PowerShell. Write "PowerShell" on the Run application then right click on PowerShell and Run as administrator. Now you will see a list of running apps and Right click on PowerShell and choose Open File Location. Find the powershell un as administrator to open powershell in administrator mode. At the end past " Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”} " on Command prompt and Enter and wait few minutes untill command finish. Now your Cortana and Start Menu are now working.

• The following process will require you to edit the Windows registry! If you right-click on the "Start" button (bottom left keyboard) and the menu comes up: click on the "run" command. If you right-click on the "Start" button (bottom left keyboard) and the menu DOES NOT come up, do the following: A. Bring up the task manager (ctrl+alt+delete) B. Click on "File" (top left keyboard) then click on "Run New Task"

1- Type "regedit" into the box labeled "Open" and click "OK". (for either of the above scenarios)

2- Go to path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService].

3- Double-click on "Start" on the right side of the screen.

4- Change the value data to "4" with "Base" set to "Hexadecimal" then "OK".

5- Reboot. Note backup first your current registry before doing a modification.

Check other methods here. https://www.errorsolutions.tech/error/windows-10-start-menu-critical-error/