Forum Discussion

JennyH11
Frequent Contributor
7 years ago

Web object names keep changing from Aliases.chrome to Aliases.browser

Hi

I need some advice on web object identification..

Many of the tests I have do not currently function properly and have to be helped along quite a bit. This is something I want to change asap - it's painful to have to do this and is a major consumption of my time.

The most common issue I come across is with the object not being found on the web page. If I try to highlight the object on the screen it can not be found, so when I use the drag and point to the object again I find that the Alias name has changed from Aliases.browser to Aliases.chrome.

After some reading a while back I understand that the object name associated with the test operation changes as per the browser it is running in and after the first initial run. Perhaps my understanding of this is not clear because I'm finding this to be the case even with every test run against the same browser each time. At the most I would expect to point to the object once in one browser and have the object name (Ok, Alias name) be set Aliases.chrome. for example, but in this case it seems to change per test run regardless of the browser I'm using.

I am in the process of rewriting these tests to use Run Browser to enable us to use the Browser loop operation and test against more than one browser, as well as using a more standard approach to web browser testing - i.e. not using TestedApps.

I recently read that Extended Find should be used for all web objects due to the dynamic names of some objects so I've changed this this morning and so will see if that helps.

As always, any help or advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Jenny

9 Replies