Forum Discussion

Fimbultyr
Contributor
6 years ago

Web Client Testing: TestComplete vs Selenium

Hi guys,

I am currently "fighting" with Selenium to test the Web Client of our Software.
(Especially the TouchActions Implementation for Mobile Emulation is really messed up)

As TestComplete itself supports Web based Testing as well, I am thinking about scraping our Selenium Tests and rebuilding them in TestComplete.

How do you guys handle this?

Would you use Selenium or TestComplete for a new Web Browser Test Setup?

Can you name some pros and cons?

And I am only interested in technical discussion/details.

We already purchased the Web Testing Component of TC so no need for marketing ;)

Cheers,
Constantin

3 Replies

NisHera
    Valued Contributor

I started Testcomplte desck top testing later for our web application started selenium. decision for selenium is mainly cost consious, since we don't have big web app but big desck top.

In selenium you have to set up write everything for your self from scrach. But TC most framework stuff is ready made. for eg DDT easy with couple of lines. In selenium you have to get paticuler libraries and write your self. In nutshell selnium you have to invest lot of time and knowlage, in TC you have to invest considarable money.

Since you allredy paid, just go ahead. Fist you have to plan what you are suppose to test and think of what are going to be re-usable. start from simple tests and add on. On the way you will find some common functionalities add those to your frame-work.  

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Constantin,

Did I get it right that you are working with web application and going to test it using emulation of mobile web browsers? (This seems to be the only thing that you will be able to do with Web module.)

Well, actually, TestComplete and Selenium are pretty different in terms of tests architecture but you asked not to touch this. :)

From the technical point of view, I would not expect any significant problems with TestComplete to work with web application. (Though it definitely worth some initial evaluation as a lot of things may depend on the tested web application internal design and implementation.)

If you decide to try TestComplete, I would recommend to try your best to not search web elements by XPath (like in Selenium) but use .FindChild/.FindAllChildren/other .FindXXX and .WaitXXX methods provided by TestComplete.

The good thing that I like in TestComplete is that you always can correlate the web element referenced in test code with the one displayed on the screen (via the .FullName property). This is something that is hardly achievable in Selenium.

TestComplete does not have something similair to Selenium's grid. Thus you will need to either consider Network Suite functionality of TestComplete or manually dispatch where your tests should run. One more option is to consider CrossBrowserTesting integration provided by TestComplete. But it requires separate license.

When running scheduled or CI-dispathed tests, like with Selenium you will need active intaractive user session on the test computer. Headless web testing is not supported by TestComplete. (For obvious reason, as TestComplete mimics actions of the human user but do not use jscript code on the page to trigger this or that action.)

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

You haven't been here much have you?  :smileyhappy:

Marketers don't hang out here.