Forum Discussion

bduncan
Contributor
15 years ago

VCLObjects vs Windows Objects

I created a new project in TestComplete 7.10.475.5 and when I launch our application through the project I am able to access items as VCLObjects.  When I open projects that where created in previous versions of TestComplete (by the previous QA person) and launch the same application I can only access Window objects.

Is there a way I can get the older projects to run in the same manner?  I have deleloped some library scripts that look specifically at VCLObjects which will only run in the newly crated project.

Thanks

Bill

5 Replies

• Hi Bill,

First of all, I recommend that you update TC to version 7.50. If the problem still occurs, make sure that your application is compiled with debug information (see the "Open Applications in Delphi" and "Open Applications in C++Builder" help topics).

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    Another possibility could be that the project done by the previous developer has the application filtered out as not being an open application.

Go to the Project Properties and look at Open Applications and see if there has been a filter applied to that older project.   If it has, remove the filter and check the objects again and see if they show up as VCLObjects.
  • Thanks for the quick reply.  I tried updating to 7.50 this morning and the problem still remains.  The application is definately compiled with the correct debug application because it will show in the process list with VCLObjects if it is launched from a new Project created in 7.0.  The same application exe launched from the projects created in earlier version shows Window Objects in the process list.

I checked the default properties and there are no inappropriate filters.  I suppose I could recreate each of the projects in the new version but that would be an enormous job.

Thanks

Bill
  • Hi Bill,

How do you launch your application? If you do it from TestedApps, make sure that you don't use the /NotOpenApp command-line parameter.

Also, what happens if you start your application outside TC?

• Hi Jared,

You're a lifesaver, that was the problem!  When I removed that Command Line parameter everything is fine.  You've just saved me untold hours of work recreating all of the Project Suites from scratch.

Thanks a million

Bill