Forum Discussion

jreardanz
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Using QAComplete API

I am trying to use the Soap interface in QAComplete from Test Complete.  I'd like to use QAComplete as a backend for Test Complete so that when I run  a test in Test Complete it will create all the test artifacts needed in QAComplete and populate the results as well.  So far I am able to create tests, add steps, create test sets, add test runs and add test results at the step level.  I am unable to add the test results at the testrun and testset level.  There is no method in the web service for TestRunItems_Update or  TestRuns_Update.  If anyone has any experience using the psws, I'd like to hear any ideas you may have.

7 Replies

chrisb
    Regular Contributor
    @Tanya, some suggestions:

1.Email notifications of test run results rather than having to script them within Test Complete. 

2. The ability to label a test run in QA Complete. Important if you run the same suite against multiple builds of same product and want to identify which test run was run against which build. At the moment I would either have to clone and rename the project in TC which is really innefficient or maintain my own record of which test run ID correlates with which build.

3. Support for running TC projects that use Event handlers. Yes I know the R&D team is investigating but It's a 'gotcha' if you add event handlers then try to run your test suite with QA Complete and find it skews the test results displayed.

4. The ability to link a test run in the Automation module to a test cycle defined in QA Complete. At the moment there is no option to link anything in the automation module to anything else in QA Complete. 

5. The option to simply select 'Today' when scheduling a test run rather than having to select 2 dates in the calendar. There is an option for selecting 'Today' in the second calendar but how is that more efficient that selecting todays date twice? Just give me a button that says 'Today'.

6. The option to fire off a test run immediately on demand rather than wait for the automation bridge to check for a scheduled run (I believe it currently checks every 2 minutes). It would be great if when I selected the option to run test now it actually launched the test run rather than show me a message that says the test will be launched in the next few minutes!

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi John,

Why don't you want to use the built-in TestComplete integration into QAComplete - Automated Testing Bridge?

As far as I know, our R&D Team is planning some changes in this integration. That would be great to hear your opinion about it - what you like or dislike, what is convenient to use, etc.

As for your question about the API, have you read this thread on the QAComplete forum? There are several links to the API documentation where you may find the method you can use.

jreardanz
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks for your reply Tanya.  The automated test bridge doesn't get me what I'm looking for.  I need to be able to have a test case in QAComplete, possibly tied to a requirement also in QAComplete and be able to run a test from Test Complete that will pass it's results back to this test case. I have used the documentation for the API to get me where I am and I'm just about there, just need a few more pieces, I've seen comments from users who have done similar things and was hoping someone might have some advice.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thanks for your suggestions, Chris!

I'll pass them to our R&D team.

chrisb
    Regular Contributor
    Tanya - Can't believe I forgot this one... QA Complete really needs to be able to show the status of a test run in realtime.

The 'Launched' feature doesn't cut it. For example, I have a test run scheduled to run daily. Once it has launched it stays in 'Launched' regardless of whether it is running or not.This means I have to log into the testing machine to see if the test run is actually running which is a huge time suck. This wouldnt be so important if we were talking about unit tests that take in the order of seconds to run but in the case of GUI tests I really want to know if my 2 hour test run is actually running rather than have to periodically log in or wait 2 hours to find out.

Take a look at how Jenkins does it. 
    chrisb
    Regular Contributor
    Hi Tanya,

Yes, we just upgraded our QA Complete instance to 9.9 so I will be taking a look at the new features in there over the next couple of weeks.