Forum Discussion

jesse2
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Unable to create table checkpoint from Web page table

I tried looking around here for a while before posting this, but I'm at a loss.

I am trying to create a table checkpoint for an HTML table on a webpage using TestComplete 12.50. The table is generated with AngularJS, but outputted table is just a simple HTML table. The problem I'm having though is I keep receiving the error message "Unable to retrieve table data for the checkpoint". Possible causes list:

1. The select object is not supported by table checkpoints

2. The selected object is not a tabular control

Under the help documentation there is a link for adding a script extension for HTML table checkpoints, which I'd really like to try and use, but the link on the web page goes to a 404.

https://blog.smartbear.com/software-quality/new-testcomplete-html-table-checkpoint-simplify-creation-of-tests-for-web-applications/

Does TestComplete support HTML table checkpoints naively now without the extension? Where can I get an updated script extension if I need one?

I am able to create object property checkpoints, but I'd really like to avoid having to maintain hundreds of cell checkpoints, when I feel like I should be able to store a table checkpoint.

• Table checkpoints, based upon the documentation that I'm seeing, are only supported for Desktop applications (go to the list of supported controls https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/checkpoints/tables/supported-controls-and-required-plug-ins.html). For web tables, you'll have to do some other work for that.

The link for the extension is, indeed, broken... TanyaYatskovska... do you know if there's another location for that script extension?  It does seem like it would meet the need.

Basically, though, you could manually do what is described.

1) Write code to grab the table object and save the baseline of the object as an XML Checkpoint in your project

2) Use the XML Checkpoint to compare the contents of the "live" table with the stored XML copy.

20 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Table checkpoints, based upon the documentation that I'm seeing, are only supported for Desktop applications (go to the list of supported controls https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/testing-with/checkpoints/tables/supported-controls-and-required-plug-ins.html). For web tables, you'll have to do some other work for that.

The link for the extension is, indeed, broken... TanyaYatskovska... do you know if there's another location for that script extension?  It does seem like it would meet the need.

Basically, though, you could manually do what is described.

1) Write code to grab the table object and save the baseline of the object as an XML Checkpoint in your project

2) Use the XML Checkpoint to compare the contents of the "live" table with the stored XML copy.

jesse2
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help and guidance.

Yesterday, I was able to implement your method using XML checkpoints to validate the HTML table. I'm working through some of the finer details now to make it more robust. This might be a working solution although I'd still like to get a hold of that HTML table extension script. If Tanya can find the extension I'd be more than happy to try that out too. I'd like to have multiple options to show to my team to see which way we'd like to go.

Thanks

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

As I understand it, the Script Extension encapsulates the process that you implemented into simple object method calls as a "Checkpoint".  So, the basic technology is the same, just the implementation of open script code vs. encapsulated script extension.

Glad that it's working for you.  If you'd be willing to share a "sanitized" version of your code, I'm sure others could benefit.

TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi All,

Thanks for mentioning me, Robert. I'm looking for the extension for you.