Forum Discussion

cshukusky
Contributor
10 years ago

Tracking Memory Usage

I have a need to be able to record the memory usage of a tested application.

I looked through the help files for TestComplete and found the MemUsage property for processes.

The problem is the MemUsage property gives me the working set, but I am more concerned with the private working set.

Is there a way for me to get the private part of the working set in TestComplete?

6 Replies

murugans1011
    Regular Contributor
    I m not sure this can be done with TC. To keep track of memory usage in your application you need a separate tool called AQtime
    HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Chris,

You can get the private working set using WMI classes, namely, Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process.WorkingSetPrivate.

function TestGetPrivateWorkingSet()

{

Log.Message("Notepad's private working set: " + GetPrivateWorkingSet("NOTEPAD") + " bytes");

}

// Returns the private working set, in bytes, of the specified process.

// Parameter:

// ProcessName - the process name without the extension (case-insensitive). E.g. "notepad".

function GetPrivateWorkingSet(ProcessName)

{

var oWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:");

var oPerfData = oWMI.Get("Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process.Name='" + ProcessName + "'");

return oPerfData.WorkingSetPrivate;

}

If you need to query memory several times throughout your test, you can use the following code with a WMI refresher. This should work faster than calling GetObject("winmgmts:") multiple times:

function Test()

{

InitCounters("notepad");

// Do something

Log.Message(GetPrivateWorkingSet());

// Do something else

Log.Message(GetPrivateWorkingSet());

}

var oCounter;

function InitCounters(ProcessName)

{

var oRefresher = new ActiveXObject("WbemScripting.SWbemRefresher");

var oWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:");

oCounter = oRefresher.Add(oWMI, "Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process.Name='" + ProcessName + "'");

}

function GetPrivateWorkingSet()

{

oCounter.Refresher.Refresh();

return oCounter.Object.WorkingSetPrivate;

}

• Thanks for the reply, but showing the memory for every action the test does in the test log, while useful, is not quite what I was looking for.

I am looking to grab the memory for a few particular steps during a test run, and be able to record that in an excel file for example, and then write a script to manipulate that data into a report for managers to look at.

The managers would not be too keen on looking through the memory for every single action the test does and I did not notice any way to manipulate the performance counter in a script.

If there is a way to do that, then this is a possibility, but I am certainly not going to go through the results manually and pull out the few pieces the managers want to see.

Optimally, I was hoping for another property like memusage that just showed the private memory usage, which I could record to excel during the test run only when I want to.
  • Thanks for the reply, but understandably, I was hoping to not have to spend money on another tool.  I am wondering if I cannot suggest a feature enhancement for TestComplete to have a private memory property on the process.  Though, if they already have another tool for memory profiling, I guess it probably wouldn't happen.
  • Helen,

Thank you.

I gave your suggestion a try and it looks like I will be able to do exactly what I had hoped to.

- Chris