Forum Discussion

pashooo
Contributor
13 years ago

The object's name changes from time to time

Hello, everybody)

Do smb faced the problem when application's objects change names?

For example I noticed that the same object may have different names at different times.

For example this item: treeview_BA =

Sys.Process("OptionsWorkshop").WPFObject("HwndSource: MainForm").WPFObject("MainForm").WPFObject("DockPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockingManager").WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockablePane", "", 1).WPFObject("DockPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("BaseSeriesTreeView");

Sys.Process("OptionsWorkshop").WPFObject("HwndSource: MainForm").WPFObject("MainForm").WPFObject("DockPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockingManager").WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockablePane", "", 1).WPFObject("DockPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("BaseSeriesTreeView");

Sys.Process("OptionsWorkshop").WPFObject("HwndSource: MainForm").WPFObject("MainForm").WPFObject("DockPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockingManager").WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("rpMain").WPFObject("rpTop").WPFObject("dpSeries").WPFObject("DockPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("BaseSeriesTreeView")

This is the difference:

...WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockablePane", "", 1)...

...WPFObject("ResizingPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockablePane", "", 1)...

...WPFObject("rpMain").WPFObject("rpTop").WPFObject("dpSeries")...

...what may be the reason? I find that name may change after reload application but may stay the same. I cant understand from what it depend...  please share your experience!

3 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Pasha,

It seems that your tested application uses docking (just like TestComplete http://smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/11346/#Basics). The behavior you are describing can happen if the application's docking layout is changed. When you dock, undock or rearrange panels, the application creates, modifies or destroys intermediate docking containers -- as a result, there are different objects in the middle of the object hierarchy.

To handle such situations, you can skip dynamic objects and use the FindChild method to locate the target object:

var DockingManager = Sys.Process("OptionsWorkshop").WPFObject("HwndSource: MainForm").WPFObject("MainForm").WPFObject("DockPanel", "", 1).WPFObject("DockingManager");

var BaseSeriesTreeView = DockingManager.FindChild("NativeClrObject.Name", "BaseSeriesTreeView", 5);

• Helen, it seems to me that you know all about TC))

You help me again!

Thank you very much/