Forum Discussion

sadhwani
New Contributor
11 years ago

Testing Awesomium

Hi,

This is Ashish from Intuit, and we use Test Complete for out Desktop Application Test Automation, we are moving in a direction where we would have embedded Web Content rendered via Awesomium.

When I am recording this test the Web Contents are recognized there cordinates (x,y). not with there Id's

This is very important for us and wondering if we have a solution.

Thanks

Ashish    

5 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    I'm not familiar with Awesomium so I did a quick Google query of it.  If I'm understanding correctly, this is a UI renderer for HTML rich content sites.  Most likely, the individual objects being operated, because they are wrapped in graphics and code, are not visible as individual objects to TestComplete so all TestComplete can do is indicate where on an image the click is occurring.  

There was a similar request made a while back (you can click here to read the thread).  Sergei responded noting that this is a similar difficulty as with a CEF framework.  Here's Sergei's reply:

I believe I can comment on what the issue is. This is similar to support for example for CEF framework, which is used to plug in a Web interface into a native application. Since these frameworks present a different mechanism of access to their DOM compared to standard browsers, TestComplete cannot access objects - and in fact, even connect to these frameworks.

We have a (rather big) customer who are using CEF 1 as their Web engine of choice, and they are writing a custom extension for TestComplete to support it. So far, they appear to be doing fine with the implementation. 

To note, they have not found any other tool thatn TestComplete that would either support CEF, or be extensible enough to implement support for CEF on their own.

I think that is going to be our short-term recommendation to customers who want to use different Web engines for hybrid applications on the desktop. We can support you with some technical assistance in the usual manner. I imagine, such work can also be contracted out.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

In addition to Robert's reply, I want to add that we have a suggestion to implement the Awesomium support in TestComplete. Ashish, I've added your vote to it.

sadhwani
    New Contributor
    Thanks Tanya,

Do we by any chance have anytime fram as yet for this to be implemented?

Thanks

Ashish
  • Hi Support,

Is there any ideas if this has been agreed to be included in Test Complete yet? 

Thanks
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Guys,

The rating of this suggestion is not high enough. Thus, at the moment, I cannot tell you when or whether this feature will be added to TestComplete.