Forum Discussion

acm
Contributor
7 years ago

TestComplete - TFS and back-ups

Good day,

I'm looking for documentation and videos on how to backup our TestComplete project suite, as well as collaborating with TFS.   Our company does not currently have the resources to implement Distributed Testing, so they're asking me to backup the project and hopefully be able to run it on another machine/by another person; and to check in TC files with TFS.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Arlene

4 Replies

kevin_kapell
    Frequent Contributor

What do you use for your application code repository?

We are using Tortoise GIT with Visual Studio Team Services. We have a separate Repository for our automation. We established a directory structure so that the repository is always on the C drive. Anyone with rights to the repo can download it on their machine. This way we can download the repo on any test machine and use TestExecute (with a float license) to run the automation.

This also allows us to do Pull Requests in VSTS for other automation people to do a code review.

However we do not have test run results integrated with out sprint tasks but it does allow multiple automation development branches.

acm
      Contributor

Hi Kevin, thanks for sharing your method.  It's good to know this is an option.  Are you saying that in order to run the tests, we need TestExecute in addition to TestComplete?  I was hoping that we will only need another license for TestComplete.

The developers are using VisualStudio's T.F.S. I am currently the only QA person in the QA team :-)  The Lead Developer is asking if I can check in the TestComplete code/project and it looks feasible.  I'm just not sure how or which files to check in.

Thanks,

Arlene

kevin_kapell
        Frequent Contributor

We check in the whole directory structure but add the following to the .gitignore file

*.tcCfgExtender
        *.bak

*.tcLogs

I don't remember why we ignore the *.tcCfgExtender file. Don't need the backup files and the logs can easily add gigs to your repository since they can have screen shots.

If you have never used a repository before I recommend you do some research and get help from the developers. It sucks when you spend hours on script development then accidently blow it all away.